Tuner Talk (Grover, Sperzel, Schaller, Gotoh, ...)

Rich G.

Experienced
I need to get a new set of tuners. Anyone have any pros/cons they can say about various manufacturers? I'm thinking of getting the Grover mini with the locking cam (not the thumb wheel on the back). I like the 18:1 GR and the fact that it's self locking without the need to tighten the thumb wheel.

My personal favorite is the Planet Waves auto trim-lock tuners. 18:1 ratio, plus it trims the ends off the strings for you. I also like the schaller m6 mini locking tuners and they are 16:1 ratio. I have also used the Grover mini locking rotomatics and I believe they were 18:1 gear ratio. No complaints from them at all.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm not a fan of Sperzels at all. They are 12:1 ratio the best I can remember. I had 3 guitars that came stock from the factory with them. All 3 guitars had horrible tuning stability. It seemed to me like the Sperzels were not holding their position when I would bend hard on the strings because it would go out of tune. I had brand new nuts installed on all 3 guitars thinking that was the issue, but it didn't fix it. Replaced the tuners with the Planet Waves and Schaller locking tuners, issue was solved and rock solid tuning on all of them.

Edit: Also had one guitar that had the Sperzels that were aftermarket mod because they were highly suggested to be put on. I didn't keep it long enough after installing them before selling it. It had some issues with tuning as well. Maybe the older Sperzels were better, but the ones out today just don't work for me.

Last edited:
I have no beef with Grovers. I use to like Sperzels, but the last set I had was lacking. Just not as solid and didn't seem to hold tune as well as the older sets I'd had. Was told by a guitars parts dealer that their quality had slacked off. My most recent experience with them seems to validate that.

I've moved to Hipshots on 3 of my electrics and have a set ordered for the 4th. I love them, obviously. They come with metal plates that eliminate the need for screws and drilling holes (or cover up existing holes).
Tuner Upgrade Kit for 6 In Line > Store > Hipshot Products

I have locking Sperzels on my main strat, and they've always been great. My guitar was built in the late 80s, and I have no idea which specific model number they are.

I used to love Sperzels (and I do still use them), but lately I seem to always be getting a 'bad' one in a package. One of the tuners will have a rough spot in it's gear. Kind of a bummer, as I've always loved them.

I tried some of the Grovers and really like them.
I also tried some of the Gotoh and they are great too.
Grovers were the most surprising to me....I bought them because they were in stock at a store I go to, and that strat stays in tune better than any guitar I have.

I have now obtained a second guitar which is A Washburn Parallaxe PXL10WA which is factory fitted with self locking Grover Mini's which seem to work very nicely for me, nice and smooth operation and accurate tuning and very good tuning stability.

(I haven't had chance to change strings yet, but I saw a the following Youtube vid which seemed to show it was easy enough)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYlc75W5fXI

For what it's worth, after fitting new strings and giving them a good stretching, I would normally tune initially up to pitch, then do a few whole tone bends on the strings (which might or might not go slightly flat initially), then re-adjust. Re-check a couple of times until tuning is stable and then its ready to play...!!.

I need to get a new set of tuners. Anyone have any pros/cons they can say about various manufacturers? I'm thinking of getting the Grover mini with the locking cam (not the thumb wheel on the back). I like the 18:1 GR and the fact that it's self locking without the need to tighten the thumb wheel.

I have those (Grovers) on my Pacifica. What can I say, they work.

Installed the strings, trimmed the end off completely and they haven't slipped. My guitar is still quite new though so cant comment on long-term performance.

Last edited:
I like my Klusons much better than the Grovers on my Les Paul.
I'd vote Kluson or Gotoh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom