Tuner Poll

What is your preference for the tuner note names?

• Mixed sharps and flats as it is now, i.e. C, C#, D, Eb...

Votes: 172 46.4%
  • All sharps, i.e. C, C#, D, D#...

Votes: 40 10.8%
  • All flats, i.e. C, Db, D, Eb...

Votes: 159 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
it's a bit off topic, but again about tuning;
maybe there could be an option for tuning instead A= 440 Hz as standard frequency,
there could be an option A=432 Hz as an alternative frequency and of course the other notes in relation to that
Which is in fact the natural tuning for A, and altered by around 1922
However just my 2 cents, not a big deal but interesting
i voted mixed.

it's a bit off topic, but again about tuning;
maybe there could be an option for tuning instead A= 440 Hz as standard frequency,
there could be an option A=432 Hz as an alternative frequency and of course the other notes in relation to that
Which is in fact the natural tuning for A, and altered by around 1922
However just my 2 cents, not a big deal but interesting
i voted mixed.
It's already in there on the config page.

For the handful of tunings that I use, I think of all the notes as flats....but I voted for keeping the note names as is. I've never been bothered by the current setup.

For all those wondering 'why d# is not quite Eb', it is the same note, however theory dictates which it should be, which is why some pianists may get confused with us saying d#, because it is theoretically an Eb.

I personally prefer it as the theory has it, as it makes the most sense, but I get the 'guitar player' point of view too. So maybe an option would be best.

This is interesting... I'm in the very lonely "all #" camp... All the keys/scales of the standard-tuning open strings have sharps, so most of the "guitar friendly" keys are written with sharps.

I don't understand the mixed sharp / flat paradigm at all... It would be nice to hear where that came from...

For all those wondering 'why d# is not quite Eb', it is the same note, however theory dictates which it should be, which is why some pianists may get confused with us saying d#, because it is theoretically an Eb.

I personally prefer it as the theory has it, as it makes the most sense, but I get the 'guitar player' point of view too. So maybe an option would be best.
I don't think it is that piano always uses Eb instead of D#. It depends which key you are in.

In the key of E, you have a D#. In the key of Bb, you have an Eb. It is really just a convenience so that you can spell the scale with sequential, non-repeating letters.

Key of E : E F# G# A B C# D# E instead of E Gb Ab A B Db Eb E

Given the option, I'd prefer flats as well. The consistency just makes it easier for me to think of the strings when tuning (although I rarely tune down a 1/2 step).

That being said, it's funny that when I'm calling out chords I always say Eb & Bb, but also always say F# & C# regardless of what key we're actually playing in (and I know enough theory to know the difference). And Ab/G# kinda goes either way. Go figure.

When I think about how the guitar is said to be tuned in 4ths (exception of G to B sting), it follows that if I tuned down to Eb and thought upwards in 4ths that I would have Eb Ab Db, Gb, Bb, and Eb. Just one way to look at it...

Last edited:
I now understand what the confusion is. If I understand correctly it's when people are tuning down a half-step and the strings read Eb, Ab, C#, ... that is confusing.

What I've done for the next firmware update, instead, is add a Downtune control. When Downtune is set to, say, 1 semitone, the tuner will read one semitone higher than the actual pitch so tuning to Eb standard the tuner will read E, A, D, ...

Also, when using Downtune the Pitch block and any other blocks that rely on pitch will be offset by the number of semitones.

I now understand what the confusion is. If I understand correctly it's when people are tuning down a half-step and the strings read Eb, Ab, C#, ... that is confusing.

What I've done for the next firmware update, instead, is add a Downtune control. When Downtune is set to, say, 1 semitone, the tuner will read one semitone higher than the actual pitch so tuning to Eb standard the tuner will read E, A, D, ...

Also, when using Downtune the Pitch block and any other blocks that rely on pitch will be offset by the number of semitones.

I liked that post and then unliked it just so I could like it again.

Wooo... Thank you so much, I'm not English, I'm French, so I don't speak your language easily, but it's exactly what I wanted to say in the post I've created yersterday "Questions about the tuner".
You're The man, your reactivity to satisfy your users is mind-blowing, I do not know any other brand that is listening to its customers as you do. Thank you 👍

Wait, so if I have a downtuned guitar and a standard guitar, the standard is going to have to be tuned sharp (on the display) or I have to change the setting when switching?

Edit: is this per preset?

Wait, so if I have a downtuned guitar and a standard guitar, the standard is going to have to be tuned sharp (on the display) or I have to change the setting when switching?

Edit: is this per preset?

I'm in the same boat. I gig with 3 guitars tuned to E and one tuned to Eb. I tend to use the Axe-Fx display for tuning on stage because I prefer it over the one on the FC-6. Will I need to change the Downtune control when doing a quick tuning check/fix on the Eb guitar between songs?

I'm in the same boat. I gig with 3 guitars tuned to E and one tuned to Eb. I tend to use the Axe-Fx display for tuning on stage because I prefer it over the one on the FC-6. Will I need to change the Downtune control when doing a quick tuning check/fix on the Eb guitar between songs?
You don't need to change it. But if you do, the display with show the Eb guitar as E and any scales will shift. If you don't need that, just leave it as is.

Back
Top Bottom