Tuner Poll

What is your preference for the tuner note names?

• Mixed sharps and flats as it is now, i.e. C, C#, D, Eb...

Votes: 172 46.4%
  • All sharps, i.e. C, C#, D, D#...

Votes: 40 10.8%
  • All flats, i.e. C, Db, D, Eb...

Votes: 159 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Flats--but I've been using my Peterson Strobostomp HD. Seems easier to use to me. And I do need Buzz Feiten on my baritone.

Makes no difference at all to me, but I'm curious: Why the mix that we have today? Is there some convention that I've never known about?

(I had a high school friend, a trombone player who studied some composition and a bunch of recording when he was in school. I played woodwinds and piano before picking up guitar at about the time that I saw him a lot. I was talking to him about a chord progression I'd come up with on guitar, and he couldn't make any sense of it the way I was describing it. At some point I said "E flat" rather than "D sharp" and he just lit up. "Why didn't you say that before!?" It all made sense to him and apparently the enharmonics were throwing him before that. I was flabbergasted because to me those were the same note. Apparently they weren't to him...)

I have zero preference but if I had to pick one, for voting purposes, then all flats and that's mainly for music/music theory reasons - e.g., look at circle of fifths, key signatures, talk to most any brass and woodwind players (jazz or classical).

Looking back over the reponses, I have to say I never would have dreamed of most of them, and never even would have thought to ask the question!

Maybe this is why I'm a wage slave rather than a successful entrepreneur...

In my own midi controller I have made this configurable, even with latin names etc. I cannot imagine this isn't possible with the much more advanced FCs!

My initial response was Mixed because I play in standard tuning. But then I thought about the guys who play in Eb, and other tunings, and realised maybe it was not so simple for them.

I haven't changed my vote from mixed, but I am starting to wonder if given all the diversified responses if Cliff is going to decide on making this an option in the global setup (i.e. so the user selects which values they prefer to see).

I’m fine with it the way it is, but the suggestion to add a setting to choose all flats is a good idea.

For easier access, put the setting in the tuner page, not in the global settings.

Since I play most of the time in normal tuning but sometimes a half step down, I think the notes flattened is more friendly when I switch guitars.
but it's a personnal preference.

I have always preferred the naming as Flats as I got used to some of the rack tuners also having the offset button. Most of my guitars are 1/2 step down so having an offset button would work or the ability to read flats across all notes is quick and efficient.

Tuner option if possible since it so close

Standard or Flat would be really cool
But what the FC will display would be most important

I don't pretend to know what's under the hood and I'm sure it's far more complex than realized but the 'ideal' tuner to me would be selectable sharp/flat/mixed with ability to store offset presets. Then we could have a small exchange with presets written like sweetened, equal, open, dropped, etc.

Back
Top Bottom