Wish Tuner offset block + offset profiles library

langohr

Inspired
The advantage: AXE-FX III has a tuner offset.

The disadvantage: AXE-FX III has only one tuner offset.

The wish:
  1. a library where we can store - and from where we can recall - a number of different Tuner offset profiles, say 20 or so, or - far better - a not limited number.
  2. a global / per preset tuner offset parameter
  3. a global tuner offset (already existing)
  4. a tuner block, perhaps similar to the midi block, where we can connect a certain tuner offset profile to a certain preset.
The idea behind:

I use Peterson tuners for many years and highly appreciate their "sweetened" tunings, which in fact are tuner offsets. So far, so simple, so good.​
But ...​
.... every instrument needs his own certain amount of offset for optimal results.​
Acoustic guitars need other offsets than electric guitars, Gibsons other than Fenders (because of their different scale length). 12-strings, baritones, open tunings, slide guitars, lapsteels, mandolins, irish or greek bouzoukis, ouds, basses .... etc., etc ..... they all have different needs.​
Unfortunately, the AXE exactly lacks that feature.​
For this reason, IMHO, the built-in tuner seems - more or less - worthless to me.​

Last edited:
Does Peterson have any exclusive rights to the concept of offsets aka “sweeteners” ?

No one else seems to offer them in tuners except them so makes me wonder if it is due to Peterson would sue if anyone else offers them ?

Does Peterson have any exclusive rights to the concept of offsets aka “sweeteners” ?

No one else seems to offer them in tuners except them so makes me wonder if it is due to Peterson would sue if anyone else offers them ?
A certain tuning of any musical instrument can never be subject of an exclusive right hold by someone.

Remember, during the long history (and present) of musical instruments and the several musical periods and cultures hundreds, maybe thousands, of tunings have been used and/or are in use nowadays, just only for a small example to mention lapsteel, raga, oriental tunings.
Also through the history there have been and still are a lot of different approaches to a somehow "perfect" tuning. Each of those approaches has its own benefits and disadvantages.

And relatively to the today-mostly-used tuning(s) in the (western) musical styles all these tunings can be looked upon as - small or large -"offsets".

The opinion, that no one but Peterson offers tuners which contain offsets, is not fully accurate.
Just for example, Fractalaudio does. ;) - Only just one small item today, but hopefully expanded in an upcoming firmware release. 😍

The reason why Peterson is the leader in offset-tuner market and offset tuners are not so widespread seems simple to me, because of two points.
  1. Peterson tries to brew some magic potion around his tuner's "sweetened tunings" and sell their tuners for up-level prices. And because they are not cheap, many players prefer - according to point 2 - the not-so-expensive ones.
    Nevertheless, the "magic" ist simple tuning offset. But, IMO the terminus "sweetened" discribes the result at its best.
    By the way, assumingly the terminus "sweetened tuning" is subject of an exclusive right by Peterson. But if so, this concerns only the terminus, not the tuning offsets itselfs.
  2. More important seems to me, that only few musicians know about tuning offsets and do understand why to use them and what their benefits are.
    Because I highly appreciate the results of Peterson tuners myself, in former years I gave several Peterson tuners as birthday gifts to very good friends, all experienced musicians. And to everyone I explained the benefits very carefully. But sadly, I had to learn, only one of the donees uses the Peterson now. All the other tuners I gave away rest unused in some drawer, the donees kept stuck to "more simple" tuners. So sad.
And to all of you, whore are still in doubt whether tuning offsets are "better" or not, James Taylor offers on his official website some very useful hints why and how to use tuning offsets. Enjoy.

+1, great request!. I just picked up a true temperament guitar but also using Peterson sweetened tunings. As is I have to pick one or always re-program.

Back
Top Bottom