Tuner "noise" from FC-12

steverosburg

Experienced
I love the tuner on heel down feature available with newer firmware versions, the problem I have is that I get a lot of cross talk between my cables when the tuner is active. I can clean up the problem by carefully separating the cables, but it can be tedious and awkward to do so based on where I position the unit on stage and where some of the cables go.

I assume it's a shielding problem since the issue goes away when I physically separate the cables.

What is the best way to resolve? I can build a new cable if there is a recommend bulk wire, connector and/or construction method that will improve or eliminate the problem. For example, should I be using digital microphone cable intended for AES/EBU, RF-protected XLR connectors, etc?

I'm guessing it's your guitar cable that's picking up the interference. Make sure the cable is a well'shielded one. If the cables must cross, make sure they cross at a right angle.

Thanks. I've tried it a number of ways, both crossing my guitar cable, as well as crossing the XLR out to the stage pocket. Even at right angles, it still introduces interference. I made a set of small isolation towers on my 3D printer so I can elevate one cable where they cross, but this is tedious and still not a perfect solution.

Is your house feed even involved in this? That's low enough impedance and hot enough signal that I wouldn't expect it to be part of the problem. Try experimenting with different guitar cables. Some are better shielded than others.

I'll play with it more next time and see, but while I don't think my guitar cable is anything exceptional, it's made with Neutrik connectors and Gepco XB20UB cable, so it's decent. Note that I never noticed this problem with my Axe-Fx II and MFC-101 Mark III, but I didn't have the tuner on heel-down feature available then.

Back
Top Bottom