Tuner in Axe-Fx II XL+

I'll have to try this but unfortunately I usually play my strings hard when I play live and that can make the pitch sharp so I like to tune with that same intensity.
If you tune to that initial pitch that gets pulled sharp when you bang on your strings, your notes will drift out of tune every time you let a note ring out for half a second or more.

This would be an excellent opportunity to refine your technique to keep your pick strokes within a range that allows your strings to stay at pitch, while still maintaining a full range of expression. On the other hand, if you bang on your strings a lot, expressiveness probably isn’t a thing you’re going for. :)

Another alternative is to switch to heavier strings that won’t get pulled sharp so easily.

There are some common rules when tuning:
  • use the neck pickup
  • hit the string with your thumb
  • turn down Tone on your guitar
All this allows a tuner to easier find the fundamental.
I would not suggest picking with the thumb, you should pick at the same way and force you use when you play.
For example, I personally play aggressively, so if I tune according to my thumb, the strings will end up too high when I actually play.

I would not suggest picking with the thumb, you should pick at the same way and force you use when you play.
For example, I personally play aggressively, so if I tune according to my thumb, the strings will end up too high when I actually play.
Just pick the string, and let it ring out until the pitch settles down. Then tune. That way, it doesn't matter what you pick with when you tune.

Just pick the string, and let it ring out until the pitch settles down. Then tune. That way, it doesn't matter what you pick with when you tune.
It depends, if I'm playing mostly fast stuff the strings/pitch won't have time to settle down, so I will always be sharp.

It depends, if I'm playing mostly fast stuff the strings/pitch won't have time to settle down, so I will always be sharp.
The pitch starts to settle down the moment your pick leaves the string. If you really never play anything slower than sixteenth notes, maybe that doesn’t matter so much. But if you play eighth notes — and pretty much everyone who bends a string plays eighth, quarter and half notes — it matters a lot. Having your notes decay flat can sound pretty rough.

Best bet: tune to the decayed pitch, and develop your picking technique to minimize how sharp you pull your strings. Trying to tune to one brief moment in a falling trajectory will leave you out of tune most of the time. And picking hard on fast runs will slow you down.

The pitch starts to settle down the moment your pick leaves the string. If you really never play anything slower than sixteenth notes, maybe that doesn’t matter so much. But if you play eighth notes — and pretty much everyone who bends a string plays eighth, quarter and half notes — it matters a lot. Having your notes decay flat can sound pretty rough.

Best bet: tune to the decayed pitch, and develop your picking technique to minimize how sharp you pull your strings. Trying to tune to one brief moment in a falling trajectory will leave you out of tune most of the time. And picking hard on fast runs will slow you down.
I'm looking at the Axe tuner right now, my strings takes about a whole second to settle down (maybe because I use 0.11 on 24.75")
And when I'm holding a note for more than a second it's almost always with vibrato so even if I'm slightly flat it might be for the best.
But that's just me of course.

Well I’m not a player hit the strings very hard... just more Legatto stuff. But I use very bends and the floyd tremolo. I will find some way to adapt my tune in axe fx.

Do not understand his question at all. The tuner of the Axe Fx is the best I have ever had.
I think the axe fx tuner are a good tuner but when the strings are New it’s to much difficult to tune... no matter tuned... hard, soft... I always have another tuners and don’t have that problem. But I just figured up to reach the way to tuned we’ll with Axe fx... it’s the best I had in all years I play guitar...

I still prefer my Peterson Strobostomp. I doubt it's any more accurate than the AFX, but I do like the multiple strobes which makes it a little better visually.

might need to make a separate post for this but, and this IS silly question as they are technically the same note. but in the tuner how can you change the Flat notes that are displayed on the LCD screen to the Sharps. Ex. The tuner displays Bflat but id like to see A#. if thats even possible im not sure, not much info on it in the manual

Make sure that only 1 string at a time is vibrating by dampening the others.
Just because you can't hear them vibrating, the tuner can and it will get confused.

Back
Top Bottom