Tuner - frequency offset limit?

Wolfenstein98k

Power User
Howdy,
I noticed that the tuner has a +/- of 10Hz from standard A440.
Is there any reason for this particular limit?

The reason I ask is that Dimebag (guitarist of Pantera) tuned to A425, or 15Hz below concert pitch.
I'm aware I can achieve the same tuning using the whole F1/F2 frequency-to-cents formula, resulting in 60 cents down... However even then the "Offset parameters" setting only lets you offset by +/- 12.7 cents. You can't even tune down a half-step and then tune UP by 40 cents, because the formulas result in requiring A to be >450Hz.

TL;DR: What's the best way to easily tune to 60 cents down, or A425 with the Axe?

This is not a great aspect of the tuner. It would make more sense if the calibration range was a semitone or more.

The only real workaround is to lower the calibration/offsets as much as possible, then use a separate tuner to determine the dot position for the pitch you want.

I have figured out a workaround for my specific task, assuming you can simultaneously use the frequency offset, AND the cent offset:
Set to A450, and tune to a half step down (Eb). This is going to be 38.9 cents above Eb - so then use the cent offset to tune +1.1 cents sharp.

But this requires someone to be familiar with calculating back and forth between logarithmic units and frequency ratios and it's all a bit confusing.

It would make more sense if the Axe tuner simply specific cent offsets up to 50 cents at least. In my case I'd just offset +40c and tune to D# and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom