Tuner: do you want the magic ball removed?

Do you want the Magic 8-ball removed?

• Yes, I do want it to be removed.

Votes: 38 10.4%
  • No, I like it.

Votes: 326 89.6%

• Total voters
I'll look into it but I got a bit disgusted with all the snide remarks so I'm not particularly motivated to bring it back.

yeah, don't get discourgaed man, there's ALWAYS gonna be some haters and idiots who will make snide remarks - don't let it send you in the wrong direction tho - keep making progress instread of regress when there's e-hate going around.....i think that it's VERY clear that there are more people that find it useful than people who don't, so don't let the one or two bad apples make things bad for the rest of us and you guys at FAS either

I'll look into it but I got a bit disgusted with all the snide remarks so I'm not particularly motivated to bring it back.
I know and which ever way you decide to go is fine with me. At the end of the day it's probably best to just reduce the amount of headaches by leaving it out. I know that would probably be what I would do if I was in that position....hell what am I talking about; I do that kind of crap all the time. I rationalize it by saying that I'm 'meeting the needs of the customer' but the truth is that it's just easier to take something away rather than try to get them to understand a new feature when it's not what they are accustom to using. Doesn't matter if I think that it's better for them or not.

And to be even more blunt the amount of complaints about how something is displayed is not worth dealing with on a long term basis. You've got bigger and better fish to fry.

Hey don't let the complainers get you down. I work in IT, we only every here from people with complaints/issues because they have no need to call us when everything is working fine. It can get you down from time to time but there are thousands (maybe 10's of thousands) out there who are not complaining about a single thing you are doing with the AxeFX!Spence

Well, I would like to personally apologize, but I didn't mean anything I said in a bad way (in the vid I made), I was just making light of the situation.
I use humor as a way of dealing. Sorry again.

I can understand where it could be distracting if you hadn't ever used a strobe tuner and didn't know what you were looking for. But I do want to say one thing and I don't mean it in a negative manner to anyone here, but the accuracy of the tuner isn't going to change if there is no ball, one ball or fifty balls. Put your thumb or piece of tape over the ball and that's the exact tuner that you are going to get now without the ball (unless he goes in and changes the sensitivity or something again). Tune it up just using the line; take the tape off and see just how 'accurate' you are now.

The way that it is supposed to work is that you use the line to get close to pitch and then when the magic 8 ball stops spinning you are balls on accurate. Location of the dot is irrelevant; it's about the direction of the rotation and not where it stops spinning. It's like having a magnifying glass here; you start out wide and then once you get close you zoom in with the ball.

Bottom line is that tuning 'accuracy' will not and cannot be improved by simply ditching the ball. You just won't be able to zoom in on it that last little bit which to me equates to less accuracy.

With that said the original tuner was pretty damn good to begin with and I have a strobe tuner that I use if I'm doing something like intonation or a setup. The AxeFXII's tuner did seem to be good enough to do those, but old habits die hard.

This right here is the post that should END all posts on this topic. There was nothing 'confusing' about the ball. It works great... and precisely in this manner. There's always going to be a handful of whiners who will NEVER be satisfied (with the Axe, or anything else in their poor, poor lives)... despite having damn near 100 of the best amp sims ON THE PLANET conveniently sitting in a small black box on the desk. Jeez!

@Cliff: Keep the ball. Ignore the snide comments. You know by now that snide comments will never stop, no matter what you do. Many of the cool things about your baby wouldn't exist if a few snide comments could stop them.

Keep the ball—or something similar!It was a stroke of genius, and there's a strong case to be made for it.

With the magic 8-ball, you know at a glance when you're in tune, and you know which way to go if you're not in tune. Spinning ball? You're out of tune. Ball stopped? You're in tune. At a distance (or if you're wearing bifocals), it's much easier to notice the movement than it is to focus on the line, trying to resolve the handful of pixels that tell you when you're in tune. Folks who don't like the ball can just watch the line, same as always.

I thought the tuner was pretty intuitive as well. I think I read someone say that you just tune until the thing stop rotating, and that was all I needed to know. I'd definitely miss the thing if it was gone. I find that it's reassuring just to look over there when you've just about got it right, and make the last little adjustments to make the ball as stationary as possible.

I don't really understand what about it would cause confusion. The 8-ball is just an additional tool and I like tools.

FWIW the tuner on 7.00 is rock solid for me with several guitars, and I liked the fine tuning the 8-ball allowed and thought it was a clever method of displaying fine adjustments. I didn't find it confusing at all. Bummer that people attack what they can't understand or make work for them, and having something as useful as the 8-ball removed and the tuner 'dumbed down' kinda bites...

Cliff, thanks a lot.
After few hours from the opening of the poll, the ball keepers are one order of magnitude more than the ball-haters :)

I followed some threads on the tuner "inaccuracy" but I found only a lot of people with bad habits and old strings, so I started to ignore them.
I know people at FAS are trying to provide the best customer support so you can't do the same.

I love the eight ball darn it! There should be options like if you want the eight ball or not and also have the new amps from 7 but keep the 6.02 structure. Just don't look at the eight ball if you don't want to use it!

Last edited:

that's a great shame.... on so many levels..

I personally thought the 8-ball was typical of everything about the Axe.. highly innovative..

Exactly ! It sounds like those complaining had never used a strobe tuner before... The ball is the reason I got rid of my strobe tuner... :-/. But there's always the Peterson strobe tuner on the iPad...

Why is it that the whining & complaining of the few ruin it for everyone including Cliff... !?

Tuner is straight forward if you have used a turbo tuner or probably any similar strobe tuner. It's pretty obvious how it works especially as you can see the standard display at the same time & you can see immediately that:
ball rotating anti-clockwise = note flat
ball rotating clockwise = note sharp
ball stationary = note in tune

I'm confused that people are confused.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom