Tuner accuracy and guitar set up

Like others, I find the tuner to be erratic/jumpy, and like Bodde, I don't have that problem with other tuners. It's perfectly fine for quick tuneups between songs, but the Turbo Tuner is THE best tuner. It's way cheaper than Peterson and more accurate. Is very stable and visible.

Yeah I really can't see myself using another tuner after the Turbo. It's just so darn fast. And you don't realize how much that matters until you try a different one.

I play in clubs every weekend and it tunes fine, if it's jumping around like crazy it's reading what it's getting. Old strings will drive you nuts

Do you guys use the Axe for setting intonation and setting up guitars?
Your experience with that?
I have gauged it with the Turbo Tuner by Sonic Research which is basically the most accurate tuner on the market and the Axe is more or less as accurate. Tuning with the MFC is a different story though. The MFC is too slow on picking up changes in pitch. The only thing the Turbo Tuner has over the axe is that it instantly detects changes in pitch so its incredible for intonation. I still prefer the Turbo Tuner, but have no issue really using the front face of the Axe.

The tuner on the Axe can seem jumpy because its resolution is higher than most tuners, and its response is faster. It picks up small, quick fluctuations of pitch that just don't register on other tuners.

Last edited:
As I recall, the tuner (at least on the Ultra) was as accurate was a Peterson strobe tuner (+/_ 1/10 cent). I've not read up on the II's tuner but I don't do intonation with it. For that I use a Peterson because my Axe FX is not near my workbench.

I put my axe 2 tuner up against my planet waves strobe tuner and the axe was dead nuts with the strobe.

I have gauged it with the Turbo Tuner by Sonic Research which is basically the most accurate tuner on the market and the Axe is more or less as accurate. Tuning with the MFC is a different story though. The MFC is too slow on picking up changes in pitch. The only thing the Turbo Tuner has over the axe is that it instantly detects changes in pitch so its incredible for intonation. I still prefer the Turbo Tuner, but have no issue really using the front face of the Axe.

This is interesting. I've only ever tried the Axe's tuner with the MFC, and it doesn't hold a candle to the Turbo Tuner. WAY slower and nowhere near as accurate. I may have to try via the front panel. That might make a difference for intonation, although for live tuning I'm not sure how practical that really is (because, really, how realistic is it to walk all the way to the back of the stage/off stage to tune via the front panel?).

I've used a Petersen Strobe but now only use the front panel on the Axe both for intonation and general tuning, It works fine for me when I'm using the neck PUP and pick the string close to its fretted centre to reduce the overtones (open string is picked at the 12th fret just to get the fundamental note). I would not consider using the MFC unless I'm really desperate! Too slow and less informative.

Magnetic interference due to the strings being too close to the PUP can play a major role during intonation. If there is any "wondering" of the note, lower the PUP until its disappears. Of course, that is more likely to happen during intonation depending on the string height you are using. Intonate only when you have the action set up, probably the last thing to do during guitar setup.

I've only ever tried the Axe's tuner with the MFC...
You're in for a treat. The Axe's front-panel tuner is fast and accurate as anything, and the magic eyeball is visible from a fair distance away. Works great for intonation.

Truth is, I still use a Snark clipped to the headstock for quick tune-ups when playing live, because it's right there in my face, and it's specifically geared for fast, close-enough-for-performance tune-ups. Great for a quick tune between songs in a fast-moving set. But it's not nearly as accurate as the Axe's tuner. With very little practice, the Axe's tuner is dead easy to use.

Besides, it's always there. If you forgot your tuner, you forgot your whole rig. :)

You're in for a treat. The Axe's front-panel tuner is fast and accurate as anything, and the magic eyeball is visible from a fair distance away. Works great for intonation.

Truth is, I still use a Snark clipped to the headstock for quick tune-ups when playing live, because it's right there in my face, and it's specifically geared for fast, close-enough-for-performance tune-ups. Great for a quick tune between songs in a fast-moving set. But it's not nearly as accurate as the Axe's tuner. With very little practice, the Axe's tuner is dead easy to use.

Besides, it's always there. If you forgot your tuner, you forgot your whole rig. :)

I'll give it a shot here at home, but it's not practical for us live...amps are off stage.

Been using one of these to setup my guitars for over a decade. Best $15 I've ever spent for guitar playing.

0prod-Korg-CA-30.jpg

I find the LCD Needle display to be nicely stable and plenty accurate for setups. Realistically, you don't need +/- 0.1 cent accuracy to properly setup a guitar. It will never intonate perfectly across the fretboard no matter how perfect you get it set at the 12th anyway. The Axe has a great tuner and now that I have an MFC, I like it even more.

Funny you posted this. I was doing some sessions in a studio here locally that does a lot of work for labels and the guy who runs the studio/produces/engineers swears by his Korg CA-30. He has a great ear, for intonation, I've seen him stop people (including me) during takes to tune/set intonation on the guitar if it's not right. I've known of him to raise or lower the action of guitars much to the chagrin of the guitarist to get the takes right. They may not like it at the time but you can not argue with his results.

When he did some work on my guitar he said that he's been through all kinds of tuners including stones but that little $20 Korg just works best for speed and accuracy. I've always had one but since then it's what I use to set up my guitars.

Interestingly enough, I just used the Axe tuner to setup 6 different guitars over the past few days without a hitch.

There may/may not be better tuners on the market, but it's the best one I have.

Back
Top Bottom