TUCANA 3!!! The best tone I ever heard! Cliff, PLEASE model all channels :(

Hell no, I use a TS808 in front of the real amp live for certain lead tones.

Cool!!! I was hoping to hear if you were boosting the actual amp or not. I have to say though, based on the models if I were to buy one of your amps it would be the Triptik for sure, just seems to fit the way I play. And trust me I have been sorely tempted to contact you and get one built....

They are not the same circuit and feel and sound very different.
Apart from the circuit differences, gain stage differences, The Tucana 3 uses KT88s driven from a 12AT7 PI and the Triptik uses EL34s driven from a 12AX7 PI.
The Tuc 3 has 3 channels, but channels B and C are identical tonally so no need to model both OD channels.

Im glad I could finally play the Tucana 3. Im loving this amp, however the Triptik is more my taste since it definitely has a more british OD vibe to it.

I also feel the Clean Triptik model on the AXE could use some work. Ive never played the real thing but from hearing clips and reading testimonials I was expecting more from the model as it isn't as sparkly as I like. The model IMO feels a tad dark to me.

Apart from the circuit differences, gain stage differences, The Tucana 3 uses KT88s driven from a 12AT7 PI and the Triptik uses EL34s driven from a 12AX7 PI.

I can tell you and Cliff are good friends, when I read both your comments/explanations on Amps and models, I don't understand anything... ;) but I like what I hear :D

Carol-Ann Amp are the bests amplifiers that i've never play.
More I hear them, more it push me to buy the real ones.
I have a slight preference for the Tripik for the gain by my side but the tucana feel very great.

Alan did you have a french or European reseller?

Last edited:
Internal IR in the Axe i guess:

#57 — 4x12 SLM H75 (OH) — SLM Electronics 4x12 with Scumback H75 speakers.
#58 — 4x12 SLM M75 (OH) — Based on SLM Electronics 4x12 with Scumback M75 speakers

Actually its from the Ownhammer Studio Mix Modern bundle

After playing with the Tuc3 model for a few more hours another amp keeps coming to mind....the Mesa Mark Series.

IMO the Tuc3 is like one of the best sounding and easiest to dial in Mark IV. I know they're totally different but there is definitely a similar DNA in the OD, but this is the type of ideal tone I look for when I think of a Mesa Mark. The feel on the TUC3 is much more to my liking though.

~~~ Does anyone have a suggestion on IR for the Tucana?? I have the FAS Universal Noise, TAF Legands UR Packs as well as Mad Oak and Ownhammer pre-UR paks

I haven't updated the new firmware to give the new modeled Tucana a try YET. The actual amp sounds great with 4 celestion G10L-35's in a marshall cab. Not sure if there is an UR of that speaker available.

I reckon the Tucana 3 has just knocked the 65 Bassman off the top spot for my 'aggressive clean'

it's decided....
for my aggressive clean tones..
65 Bassman to the left
Tucana 3 to the right

sounds wonderful..

in the Tucana I dropped the drive and overdrive both down to 3.0 and set the master vol to 10
jeez it sings...

...Ive not yet updated or tested this yet, but I admire Alans work, I own every one of his amps, and in fact we did a session yesterday exclusively in the studio with his OD models (real amps not axefx)
But to have this in the axe is simply great!..

One thing, we paired the OD2 head with some Alinco Golds, Multimiced and it was the best tone of the day (YMMV) but it worked for us (them) for the secondary takes we used Blue Bulldogs

Peace & Love to you Alan!

found a lovely aggressive clean with the Tucana3
drop the input-drive and overdrive both real low.. something like 2.0 or even a little less..
set the master volume to something like 8.00 to 10.00.. I rather liked 10.00, cos I'm subtle like that
then hit the Sat switch..

and then run it through a nice fat cab.. like the TAF 4x12 vintage Marshall with the mic set to 'null' [to beef up the low end]..

sounds wonderful

Back
Top Bottom