Tube vs Modeler - last nights experience.

I was going to add a joke about what type of blanket between the cab and mic to get "the tone"..
But the truth is I've heard someone use a MZ pedal in their rig (vintage Marshall with large pedal board) and get a really good rock tone with it. Killer player with tons of experience and great ears...
Funeral nailed it- it's a tool- 9 lb. hammer in the right hands...

Didn't Warren Haynes use a Metal Zone for awhile? I always love the debate on pedals that people don't really know how to use or that don't work for them. So much smoke and mirrors in the boutique crowd :)

The Metal Zone wasn't that bad. It had the odd sweet area if you knew how to eq it in.
Not all that versatile obviously but potentially great with a tube amp if you know what you're doing. I had a Keeley modded one that was very good but I played in a thrash/death metal band.
Its good for that type of music. If you're after sweet, juicy tone, forget it.

It cuts through and has lots of thump and low end articulation. Good for fast downtuned riff tracking.
IMHO of course.

Sounds like he was in the "Meddle Zone." He trusts you as a player, he ought to just trust that you'll bring what you need. We've all been there! lol

"I've got this killer amp for you" = "She has a great personality"

the metal zone was a staple of my teenage years. would I use one now? probably not. but it will always have a soft spot in my heart 8)

It's useful when you need something to sound greasy and cheap. The Twilight Zone mod that Keeley did improved it quite a bit.

The rhythm guitars for At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul were recorded using a Metal Zone, and that left the blueprint for Killswitch et al.

I have fond memories of dialing in good tones in front of a low-to-mid gain valve amp. Warm it isn't, but it's a good tool, and the eq takes a little work to get right.

Warren Haynes definitely used a " KORG Toneworks AX30G" INTO THE FRONT OF HIS SLO100! And yes, he sounded great! The metalzone with distortion way down, volume up, and use the parametric eq to boost the mids into the front of a jcm800 can be useful.

Attachments

• korg01.jpg
    korg01.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 31
I like the drive portion of Korg stuff in general. My first multi fx was a modular Korg thing with a good sounding overdrive pedal as part of it.

With preference like that, I'd wonder about his capability at the console.

Warren Haynes definitely used a " KORG Toneworks AX30G" INTO THE FRONT OF HIS SLO100! And yes, he sounded great! The metalzone with distortion way down, volume up, and use the parametric eq to boost the mids into the front of a jcm800 can be useful.

I couldn't get anything I liked for stand-alone metal (scooped mids) gain out of the AX30G. Same with the MZ. I ran it through a preamp. And yet I always felt something was lacking.

In 1986-1987 I had a Boss HM2 Heavy Metal pedal, it was quite mean but usable, I assume the Metal Zone was introduced after that ? I'm wondering how different is the metal zone ? BTW I replaced the HM2 by a Rat II, the best drive pedal I ever had, before I stopped using pedals around 1992

Last edited:
Wow, I did not know the Metal Zones reputation, but ignorance is bliss I guess. It is my go-to tool on any modeller to give my lead tone a character, all it takes is to tame the highs. The best sound I have ever gotten out of the Axe II is the Metal Zone sim into the Dizzy 4 into Ownhammer V2 IRs. If you want to listen, skip the intro and outro mistakes and go to around 2:08-2:30, then I kick it in again at 3:00-3:25.

Here I am to Worship by Dan Ove Skaalerud on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Radiohead used a Metal Zone into a clean amp for the dirty parts leading into and during the chourus of "Creep". Dont know what the amp was off hand.

I'm curious. Was his mind blown? :)

He liked the tones. I set my two Altos on stands behind me and it was pretty dang sweet. I did one gig last Sunday then sent him an email stating that I decided to stay where I am for now he didn't reply. I sent a few others offering to play there until he found a replacement. He didn't reply. I just couldn't do it. They had a kid bass player that had no business being on a stage anywhere under any circumstances. I spent the whole time standing next to him shouting out what note he should be on as opposed to the one he was on.

It was supposed to be a paying gig but I have a feeling I ain't getting paid. :)

Back
Top Bottom