Tube Power Amp Pedal Suggestions?

I've run the AFXIII through a few different tube power amps/FX returns. I prefer using it with a solid state PA power amp (I use a Crest CA9). Something about the tube power amps made things a bit "cloudy" or soft compared to the Crest.

But not all power amps are the same, of course, and we have different tastes.

I just bought the Fryette LXII power amp. It only came in 2 days ago. it is Orders Of Magnitude better than anything else I have tried!!
https://www.fryette.com/lxii-stereo-power-amp/

I was also using the power section of a 5153 amp into a 5153 cab for Marshall tones, and two other full head and cab rigs for other tones (Fender, and Boogie respectively).

I’m going to do a whole separate post on a dedicated two week tone chase that covers this and much more. Stay tuned!

I just bought the Fryette LXII power amp. It only came in 2 days ago. it is Orders Of Magnitude better than anything else I have tried!!

I was also using the power section of a 5153 amp into a 5153 cab for Marshall tones, and two other full head and cab rigs for other tones (Fender, and Boogie respectively).

I’m going to do a whole separate post on a dedicated two week tone chase that covers this and much more. Stay tuned!
Interested!

That's hard core!

I don’t think this type of product exists right now. The Fryette Power Station is the closest thing I can think of and that is not a small unit.
That.

Been using one for yor years. Small and light (for a valve power amp). Sounds great and is as neutral as you can get. You keep your power amp sims on as its designed to not add power amp compression or colour.

Its more dynamic (feel wise) than a as power amp (and I was a champion, first user, and had a hand in early development of the matrix gear) bit with the same neutral sonic benefits.

I've stopped using my Power Station, and returned to Matrix. Partly because of Fractal Audio's progress in power amp modeling, partly because (IMO) the Power Station requires tweaks to the virtual power amp which mess with the parallel direct signal. If I would use my III for backline purposes only, I might still be using the PS.

That.

Been using one for yor years. Small and light (for a valve power amp). Sounds great and is as neutral as you can get. You keep your power amp sims on as its designed to not add power amp compression or colour.

Its more dynamic (feel wise) than a as power amp (and I was a champion, first user, and had a hand in early development of the matrix gear) bit with the same neutral sonic benefits.
To each his own, but I struggle to understand why spend 1 grand for a tube amp that will not color the sound.
Neutral tube amp sounds dangerously close to some kind of audiophile myths.
No offense meant to anyone, of course.

To each his own, but I struggle to understand why spend 1 grand for a tube amp that will not color the sound.
Neutral tube amp sounds dangerously close to some kind of audiophile myths.
No offense meant to anyone, of course.
Oh of course.

I used the Matrix for years. I went to a gear jam day where loads of locals broad gear just to play around with. The AFX/Matrix sounded great against most BUT the real top notch stuff.... there was something missing. I had been using a 2:50:2 prior to the Matrix - and honestly felt the matrix was better overall (comparing it to my 2 real amps at the time - this was quite early on... maybe 2010?). why dynamically the VHT was slightly better - it added too much tonal colour (despite being one of the more neutral power amps at the time)

I took my AFX rig to a shop and A/Bd the Matrix with a Power station...while there was something tonally not QUITE right - the feel seemed better. I bought one, just to see how it worked out. i think the fact it was designed as a load and re-amp box meant it was specifically designed to be neutral - rather than the 2:50:2 designed to add power amp stuff to a pre.

Next Jam day - took both Matrix and Power station. The AFX2 with PS kept up with those top notch amps - the matrix still didnt. That sold me on that Power amp. It dont think it was the AFX2 and its modelling that let the rig down - rather than the Matrix not QIUITE replicating the dynamics the AFX produced. i may be wrong - it was small details so could have been the AFX2 not quite nailing the something dynamically. This is why I may revisit the Matrix once my 3 gets here next week. That aspect has improved again I believe compared to 2.

I've not played a Matrix amp; I assume they are nice. But not all solid state power amps are equal.

Some of old school "lead sled" PA amps are still very well regarded today. Things like the Crown 2402 and Crest CA9. They are 2U and very (very) heavy, but they have incredible "slam" (often used to power subs).

At their weight, maybe you might as well just carry around the Fryette PS, but the lead sled PA amps will be very flat and I prefer not having to worry around the tubes and whatever color is coming from the power amp.

The poweramp I use is a QSC RMX2450 which weighs 45 pounds and puts out 350W of class H power when run into a pair of 16 Ohm cabinets. It sounds good but I doubt that I'd ever choose to lug it somewhere for live use.

partly because (IMO) the Power Station requires tweaks to the virtual power amp which mess with the parallel direct signal.
Do you find this is the case for any tube power amp or specifically the Power Station?

IMO the virtual Speaker Impedance Curve needs to be set to Resistive (= off), because the PS already does all the dynamic interaction with the speaker. Doing this gets rid of the hyped lows and highs, which I've experienced when combining the PS with full-blown power amp simulation.

Id read that was the case with a real cab regardless of if you use valve or SS power amps. AS im still lo the 2 (which doesnt have that I dont think - or does it????) till next week Ill wait and try it then.

No, this applies specifically to a tube power amp. With an ss amp, you need the impedance modeling.

On the II, set Low and High Frequency Resonance to zero.

The poweramp I use is a QSC RMX2450 which weighs 45 pounds and puts out 350W of class H power when run into a pair of 16 Ohm cabinets. It sounds good but I doubt that I'd ever choose to lug it somewhere for live use.
Yeah, I use a power amp that's 47 pounds, and then add the rack case and the AFXIII to that, and it's really pretty heavy (at least as heavy as my SVT head). But it does sound good.

Back
Top Bottom