• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Tube power amp options?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Thinking of routing my FM3 through the power section of one of my heads and into a 4x12 cab
Years ago a buddy ran a mesa tube rack set up into real cabs and it was really good. What are current options?
Not interested in non tube options, thanks!!

Chris Hurley

Experienced
Fryette makes several- 2/90/2, 2/50/2, LXII and PS2. Synergy makes a cousin of the LXII- the 5050.

The PS2 does a lot of things, as RichD said. It can be used with tube amps to make them louder or quieter in addition to being a poweramp. I've used it with my Axe-FX III and suspect it can work well with the FM3. It has been suggested to set the amp block to resistive load- something I don't fully understand or accept but there was a big thread about it on TGP where Fryette support weighed in on that side. If the PS2 is made to present a reactive load to a tube amp, I would expect the line in would be OK with a simulation of a reactively loaded tube amp but opinions seem to vary.

Mooer (of all things) makes a small tube poweramp. I've never heard it but have considered it a few times.

The FX Return on an amp head is awfully convenient sometimes.

OrganicZed

Inspired
Mesa, Peavey, and Carvin are other manufacturers that make tube power amps. Like many here, I am partial to the Fryette designs. Any tube power amp you go with is going to be heavy (20-50 pounds), so keep that in mind.

neale dunham

Inspired
I started out using a Fryette 2/90/2 which sounded awesome on the Class A setting. Damn heavy though!

After much experimentation, found that due to the El34's it only really excelled at Marshall-esque tones and lacked massively when trying to deliver Vox type sounds.

I then "Downgraded" to the Fryette PS2 and it serves my needs slightly better as an all-rounder. Still not perfect tho.

If you can afford the real estate.... Why not try a Mesa Roadking Head? Best of EL34 Tones and 6L6 in one box with switchable configurations and midi capability!

Wish i'd never sold mine......

Top Bottom