Tube driver is really hitting the spot

tysonlt

Power User
Who’s using the tube driver? I’ve used this a fair bit before, but since 20.02 I’m finding the 3-knob through a deluxe is the whole chocolate biscuit. It’s so good I’m not even using amp overdrive (am I a bad person?)

It’s one of the many pieces of gear I only discovered in the black box. I did a reverse-GAS and went looking for reviews after already having it 😂

Incidentally I found this clip, can anyone tell me if that’s a song he’s playing? I really like it…

In my teen years, a friend of my sister's lived in our garage (long story). He played guitar, mostly metal, and he had his Marshall head modded by someone. One day I looked in the back of head and the "mod" was apparently a tube driver mounted inside the head cab and patched into the circuit. I didn't know much about gear at that time but remember thinking "you got ripped off".

The newer drives allow you choose diode type, but the older drives allow you to choose clip type, which include non diode options like HV tube, LV tube, soft, hard, etc.
Im used to being able to change through all the options, I didnt know that flexibility was gone on some models.

I remember the rack version back in the day. I remember it being so mushy compared to the ADA and other pre's ...

But this clip sounds great. And I hated TS pedals too. I was/am quite the moron.

I remember the rack version back in the day. I remember it being so mushy compared to the ADA and other pre's ...

But this clip sounds great. And I hated TS pedals too. I was/am quite the moron.

Meh, you weren't wrong about either of those. :)

They certainly don't work for everything.

Who’s using the tube driver? I’ve used this a fair bit before, but since 20.02 I’m finding the 3-knob through a deluxe is the whole chocolate biscuit. It’s so good I’m not even using amp overdrive (am I a bad person?)

It’s one of the many pieces of gear I only discovered in the black box. I did a reverse-GAS and went looking for reviews after already having it 😂

Incidentally I found this clip, can anyone tell me if that’s a song he’s playing? I really like it…

Yeah, this and the Zen are probably my favorites. I have a Vertex UltraPhonix that I put in front of my Axefx III and that and the Zen are almost the same. The only reason the UltraPhonix is in there is because I'm running a 4 way splitter into some gear that the Axe isn't hooked up to. A long time ago I had the B.K. Butler 4 knob Tube Driver. It sounded great but was incredibly noisy. I don't know if it just wasn't shielded or what. I wound up selling it because of the noise. Not a problem with the Axe. BTW, I just checked, he's still making them for $299.00 on a limited basis.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom