Tube Drive?

supersonic

Inspired
Anyone know what OD pedal the "Tube Drive" in the A2 is emulating? Is it the Chandler? I haven't used an OD pedal in front of an amp for 25 years. Love this OD!

Last edited:
That is correct. Also known as a Butler - there were a couple of different versions. Truly great unit in both Fractal and genuine forms.

Bk butler or chandler tube driver.
Two different versions but very similar. It's one of my favorite overdrive pedals.

In fact, there is only one "tube driver" - BK Butler built the original tube driver, under his brand Tubeworks. Tubeworks was later sold to Jeff Genzler, who started his own company "Genz-Benz". Chandler copied the BK butler design - there was never a chandler tube driver! Just for the records - get some old Dean Markley amps, those were all designed by Mr. Butler ;)

I have a BK Butler Tube Driver that I run in front of my Mesa Stiletto Deuce II, it's a fantastic pedal. Toss a Carl Martin compressor in front of it with a bit of gain and you get everything from warm fuzzyness to screaming leads :)

In fact, there is only one "tube driver" - BK Butler built the original tube driver, under his brand Tubeworks. Tubeworks was later sold to Jeff Genzler, who started his own company "Genz-Benz". Chandler copied the BK butler design - there was never a chandler tube driver! Just for the records - get some old Dean Markley amps, those were all designed by Mr. Butler ;)

You'll find Tube Driver pedals with the Chandler label on them, but you're right that the design was Butler's at all times. They're very cool pedals depending on what you're going for. I've held onto my old one for years now.

Thanks Paco. I knew there was more to the story but could not recall. And I had it backwards anyway. Like many guitar toys, there are versions that are more revered than others. I've never played a real one, have only seen a few. Interestingly the Tube Driver was IMO the best OD option in the PODs (multiple versions) - always musical sounding. The one in the Axe-Fx II is amazing.

I have the rack mounted unit from about '86 or so - and won't part with it. Sounded fantastic with a Boss OD-2 in front of it (Drive down, Out up) in front of a cleanish amp driving my G12H loaded cab back in my 80's metal days. Good tones without the OD also...

EJ and Gilmour, probably thousands of others too!

After I got the AF2, I sold the BK tube driver for more than I paid originally. Same with the zendrive.

Aww the memories of selling expensive gear before it ends up broken in a dusty old box somewhere in the garage.

Reactions: LVC
Back
Top Bottom