Trying to use a plugin "live" with Axe-FX signal chain

Scented Meat

Power User
Actually this is quite timely because I have a (probably stupid) question that will likely reveal my utter DAW noobosity. I just recently downloaded the Sunset Sound Reverb plugin and opened it in Logic Pro X. I was hoping to use it live, essentially at the "end" of my Axe-FX III signal chain, but I notice that in order to hear the plugin in action I must use input monitoring on my audio track. This, however, creates a sort of echo of my sound as I hear the output from my Axe as well as the monitored output from Logic. Is this avoidable, or can I use the plugin only to treat an already recorded track?

aux tracks are used for processing live audio input, so you'll need to create one.

open the mixer panel and go options > create new auxillary channel strip

set the input tracks you want to feed into the strip and then you can drop your plugin into it. make sure the plugin is running 100% wet

i you want to record the reverb at any point, ctrl/right click on the channel strip and select "create track". this will make a track for it in the arrange window

aux tracks are used for processing live audio input, so you'll need to create one.

open the mixer panel and go options > create new auxillary channel strip

set the input tracks you want to feed into the strip and then you can drop your plugin into it. make sure the plugin is running 100% wet

i you want to record the reverb at any point, ctrl/right click on the channel strip and select "create track". this will make a track for it in the arrange window

I have switched to using the Axe as my only interface and have the same question as the OP. I followed your instructions and am still getting Axe+DAW output. Maybe I am missing something:

I have my studio monitors attached to the Axe's Out2. When I press play/record in Logic, the live tracks play through Out2 and my guitar signal does as well.
I have two strips armed for recording - one with the wet stereo signal fed by Input 3-4 and one mono track fed by input 5 (the DI). Both of these tracks are muted and I set up an Aux strip as you suggested and routed the wet track into it. If the Aux strip is unmuted, I can hear my wet guitar twice.

I guess the question is: how do I set up the Axe's normal output so that it is muted when I am routing into the DAW so that I can just have the DAW's monitored output?

I guess the question is: how do I set up the Axe's normal output so that it is muted when I am routing into the DAW so that I can just have the DAW's monitored output?

Route guitar to Out 1 block instead of Out 2, record USB channels 1-2 instead of 3-4.

Currently the only solution would be to free up Output 1.

If at least two of those outputs are only used for a mono send/return you could probably switch to using L/R of a single output block with appropriate changes to the preset routing.

Back
Top Bottom