Trying to understand FC-6 Layouts etc

scottp

Fractal Fanatic
I have downloaded and read through the FC-6 manual, quick start, and supplemental sheet. Trying to wrap my head around the whole thing.

Layouts, Per-Preset...

Will all layouts for my presets be the same, except if I create a preset and click on the tab in A3 Edit Per-Preset and set up those switches as desired?

there are 8 general Layouts and 1 special Layout that changes to the other 8.

Layouts don't change per preset. there are only those 8.

if you want different things per preset, the switches can change function while remaining on the same Layout. these are the Per-Preset switches.

they need to be setup in the preset (D knob from Home Screen) and also the Layout needs to be pre-populated with the Placeholders. Layout 6 (i think!) is ready to go for that.

i don't discuss Per Preset in this video unfortunately, but if you have nothing else to do, i go over the concepts and default layouts of the FC12. it's similar enough to the FC6 to help understand the basics.

but if you understand that already, you might just need direct info on Per Preset switches. i plan to make a video about that soon. i have to figure out how i'll approach the 3 different devices (FC12, FC6, FM3) that have this tech - all in one video, a video for each... we'll see:

Last edited:
Will all layouts for my presets be the same, except if I create a preset and click on the tab in A3 Edit Per-Preset and set up those switches as desired?
Pretty much. All layouts stay the same, unless you edit a preset and assign per-preset switches. Then those particular switches change for that preset only.

Just realized that last night......setting up an AC30 preset with the scenes I wanted ......

....then went back to my original Matchless preset! :oops:

The thought process would be numbering scenes in your presets to fit the switches. ;)

Thats exactly what I'll be doing tonight Matt..... great added feature.

.... was wondering why my other preset kept getting jacked up ...... coming from an AX8 mindset! Lol

there are 8 general Layouts and 1 special Layout that changes to the other 8.

Layouts don't change per preset. there are only those 8.

if you want different things per preset, the switches can change function while remaining on the same Layout. these are the Per-Preset switches.

they need to be setup in the preset (D knob from Home Screen) and also the Layout needs to be pre-populated with the Placeholders. Layout 6 (i think!) is ready to go for that.

i don't discuss Per Preset in this video unfortunately, but if you have nothing else to do, i go over the concepts and default layouts of the FC12. it's similar enough to the FC6 to help understand the basics.

but if you understand that already, you might just need direct info on Per Preset switches. i plan to make a video about that soon. i have to figure out how i'll approach the 3 different devices (FC12, FC6, FM3) that have this tech - all in one video, a video for each... we'll see:

Thank you Chris, I'm beginning to understand. I'll keep it simple to start.

Thanks @chris for the reminder to watch your video again, good stuff.
I think one of the stumbling blocks for me was looking at Axe 3 Edit, and seeing all the available options, layouts, colors, buttons, choices and being overwhelmed by that.

So I took it real simple. From the front of the Axe in EZ mode, pick one switch and try changing it to what I want = Success.
Okay, now making progress.

Question, is it a bad idea to change one of the layout names from say Per-Preset to Effects? If that is even possible?

In my case I have populated Layouts 3 & 4 with effects I want, but still want a third layout for effects.

Question, is it a bad idea to change one of the layout names from say Per-Preset to Effects? If that is even possible?

In my case I have populated Layouts 3 & 4 with effects I want, but still want a third layout for effects.

Nope. You can do whatever you want with the name of the layout.
Easy to change in Axe Edit. Just click on the name of the Layout and edit. No need to save!
I've changed all the names of my layouts to what I need.

Back
Top Bottom