Trying to nail Dick Lovgren's Bass Sound

Meshuggah FOR THE WIN!! Great bass tone. I'd also like to see someone nail this, but isn't this thread better put in the "Share And Request Patches" forum?

Regards,
Jeff

SliderJeff said:
Meshuggah FOR THE WIN!! Great bass tone. I'd also like to see someone nail this, but isn't this thread better put in the "Share And Request Patches" forum?

Regards,
Jeff

Yeah, maybe. I never know where to put what - seems differing threads are all over the place - Oi!

Having another go at this tone now -\\

diggi said:
SliderJeff said:

Regards,
Jeff

Yeah, maybe. I never know where to put what - seems differing threads are all over the place - Oi!

Having another go at this tone now -\\

No worries. Hey, I just noticed your avatar. Isn't that from Powermad's "Absolute Power" cd?

Holy sh*t! I just saw your real name in the signature below your post! Man, I love "Absolute Power", Joel. Picked it up when it came out and it still gets consistent play. You guys rock! Good to see you here!

Big time Powermad fan,
Jeff

SliderJeff said:
Holy sh*t! I just saw your real name in the signature below your post! Man, I love "Absolute Power", Joel. Picked it up when it came out and it still gets consistent play. You guys rock! Good to see you here!

Big time Powermad fan,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, new record coming - 'bout time huh??

diggi said:
SliderJeff said:

Big time Powermad fan,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, new record coming - 'bout time huh??

Hey, what's 20 years between albums, right? :) Best of luck on the new stuff, Joel!

Regards,
Jeff

use a guitar amp and a drive in front of a distorted sound to get this out of your bass. use thick strings and a long scale to get a lot on tension from you bass.

Ha, thanks!

I wish it was that easy. It isn't - his sound is pretty sculpted actually and the main ingredient in their overall sound as a band. It's not easy-peasy to nail, not yet anyway.

I'm still tryin'!

Peace!

~ J

Clawfinger is clearly the man to ask here. Not only for the obvious reason, but I've heard him nail some pretty similar bass tones.

Hrm. MBC + Drive + amp (not the Ampeg). He doesn't really use a whole lot of bass in his tone.. those guitars bring a massive amount of low end. This bass tone is sculpted to fit in its own little area.

I'd be running two signals at once. One would be the clean bass amp with a couple of cabs, the other would be a grindy guitar amp of some sort. I used to do a similar thing with my old POD XT and Sansamp DI. The Sansamp would give a nice clean tone for fullness and clarity, and the POD XT was set to I think a Recto model to add a bit of grindy midrange and grit. Gain wasn't up very high at all on that, but it fit in the mix well. That clip sounds like it has a fair bit more gain though.

DNW said:
I'd be running two signals at once. One would be the clean bass amp with a couple of cabs, the other would be a grindy guitar amp of some sort. I used to do a similar thing with my old POD XT and Sansamp DI. The Sansamp would give a nice clean tone for fullness and clarity, and the POD XT was set to I think a Recto model to add a bit of grindy midrange and grit. Gain wasn't up very high at all on that, but it fit in the mix well. That clip sounds like it has a fair bit more gain though.

Indeed this is how top engineers record bass, and how mix engineers prefer to mix same. Two tracks of bass; one dirty - one clean. I'm currently working with a Fat Rat>CPR>Recto>V30&8x10>GEQ>FORMANT -

The formant (believe it or not) is really helping to sculpt the sound in my opinion, but the tone I'm working on isn't quite "there" in my opinion. The tough part will be "knowing" if I've nailed it because Dick's bass is rarely (if ever) soloed on anything, save for the youtube vid I referenced earlier. That means I'd need the guitar tones in place to and a full mix to get it exactly right. Oi!

(think I'll just keep working on the bass for now :)

~ J
www.myspace.com/powermadband

I'd rather have that bass in my hands, than what's in your hand RIGHT NOW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

well I did have a Cynic in my hand at the time,but now I have a Coffee Bender,you can keep your vodka lemonade :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom