Trying to Make This Work

LerxstFan

Inspired
So I have Austin Buddy's latest Dream Rigs pack, and am loving the tones and great options for songs.

I have my AX8 set up globally with switches 1-4 as presets, and 5-8 as effects to drop in and out based on the song. My band plays about 45 songs a night. In Austin Buddy's tutorial on how to use the new pack, he mentions that if you're in a cover band, setting up your AX8 with switches 1-4 being song presets, and switches 5-8 being scenes would be a great way to organize tones for different songs.

So we play Jesse's Girl. Right now, I have three different presets on the bottom row of switches - clean intro on 1, rhythm dirt on 2, and lead on 3. If I understand correctly, I should be able to have switch 1 dedicated to the preset for the song, and can save the scenes I need to switches 5-8 for any part within the song.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this and if anyone can help explain how to save scenes and presets the way he suggests that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

I don't have an AX8 (I have an Axe Fx II/III), nor have I watched the video...

But what it sounds like you are wanting to do is to replace 3 presets with 1 preset and scenes. This means you need to start by "merging" 3 presets into 1.

Are you familiar with Scenes? If not, do some reading or video watching.

As a core point, remember that scenes are for controlling effect on/off and X/Y states only.

So, you can only change block settings between scenes by using X/Y of a block or by using Scene Controllers.

The first challenge you have in merging 3 presets: are you using more then 2 Amp models between the 3 presets? If so, you can't truly merge them because you only have Amp X/Y to switch between...

Hi. I also have the Dream Rigs pack and am in a similar band situation (we also cover Jesse's Girl).
I have made a couple of presets using presets on the bottom row, but for ease of use / 1 preset per song I would recommend setting the bottom row to scenes with the top row for FX / boost etc.
I use 1 bank for basic presets which cover a lot of ground and a second bank for specific song presets (i.e. Living on a Prayer etc). You can get a lot of variation from one preset - 2 amp models and 4 drive models plus all the FX you need for any song. I hope this helps!

So I have Austin Buddy's latest Dream Rigs pack, and am loving the tones and great options for songs.

I have my AX8 set up globally with switches 1-4 as presets, and 5-8 as effects to drop in and out based on the song. My band plays about 45 songs a night. In Austin Buddy's tutorial on how to use the new pack, he mentions that if you're in a cover band, setting up your AX8 with switches 1-4 being song presets, and switches 5-8 being scenes would be a great way to organize tones for different songs.

So we play Jesse's Girl. Right now, I have three different presets on the bottom row of switches - clean intro on 1, rhythm dirt on 2, and lead on 3. If I understand correctly, I should be able to have switch 1 dedicated to the preset for the song, and can save the scenes I need to switches 5-8 for any part within the song.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this and if anyone can help explain how to save scenes and presets the way he suggests that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!
You don’t “need” to use Scenes. It seems you are using Presets for your different tones, and that’s completely sufficient.

Thank you for the info - makes more sense now. That said, there is a small gap in sound when switching from one preset to another, and in scenes, or amp XY mode, that gap is gone, so that is another reason why I want to go with scenes. I could just do an Amp XY, for clean and dirty (intro and rhythm for Jesse's Girl), and that should be an easier work around then condensing three or more preset sounds into one scene. Back to the workbench.

Thank you for the info - makes more sense now. That said, there is a small gap in sound when switching from one preset to another, and in scenes, or amp XY mode, that gap is gone, so that is another reason why I want to go with scenes. I could just do an Amp XY, for clean and dirty (intro and rhythm for Jesse's Girl), and that should be an easier work around then condensing three or more preset sounds into one scene. Back to the workbench.
This isn’t true. Amp XY can have a short audio gap as well. There are hundreds of settings changing instantly, if there wasn’t a brief mute, there would be a loud pop noise. Though some people prefer the Amp XY gap over Presets. Depending on the CPU of the Preset, the Scene or Amp XY gap can change slightly. In my experience, the Preset change audio gap is exactly the same regardless of CPU.

Scenes can be seamless for certain changes, especially engaging a Drive block for a tone change, and spillover is controlled better (if XY isn’t used for delay or reverb changes).

So again, changing Presets is absolutely intended. Scenes are an extension of this and optional.

This isn’t true. Amp XY can have a short audio gap as well. There are hundreds of settings changing instantly, if there wasn’t a brief mute, there would be a loud pop noise. Though some people prefer the Amp XY gap over Presets. Depending on the CPU of the Preset, the Scene or Amp XY gap can change slightly. In my experience, the Preset change audio gap is exactly the same regardless of CPU.

Scenes can be seamless for certain changes, especially engaging a Drive block for a tone change, and spillover is controlled better (if XY isn’t used for delay or reverb changes).

So again, changing Presets is absolutely intended. Scenes are an extension of this and optional.

I probably shouldn't mess with what is working - I have seen pics of AX8's where the switches are labeled for scenes only and I am thinking how does that work? Maybe it would work better for some multi effect/sound songs than presets, but maybe I'm overthinking it and should stick with what I know and is working, minus the small delay gap. Overall, the sounds I get and the ease of use for gigging is better than it's ever been now that I have the AX8.

There’s a video by Smittefar that sets up the same amp as clean, dirty and lead using the scene controllers. It’s a little more advanced but it’s real easy to follow step by step and you’ll come away with 3 scenes that done have any audio gaps. It’ll take 10 minutes to follow you’ll have a useable preset and a better understanding of scene controllers.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-the-amp-drive-with-a-pedal-or-switch.132644/

You can pick your desired amp and apply amp this. The video is in the link

Thanks Bman! I'll check out the video. If I can't get the right amp, I'll still learn something new about my AX8.

Any of the Marshalls, especially the master volume ones, like Smittefar used in the video should get you Jessie’s girl. (Brit Super, Brit 800, Brit Silver). I think most amps in the Fractal collection could get you there.

I’ve recently discovered Tim Pierce’s YouTube vids. I’m pretty sure he played on that album and he was all Marshalls those days, according to him.

Rick Springfield, Robben Ford and Neil Geraldo did all the guitars on that album. The solo on Jessie’s Girl is Geraldo, not sure who played the rhythm parts. Rick’s next album is when Tim Pierce came on board.

Wait. Why would you need to switch presets for this? Unless the amp tones are vastly different for all 3, you should be able to handle them all within a single preset and just scene swap. Worst case is the clean requires an x/y on the amp to get the right tone.

Rick Springfield, Robben Ford and Neil Geraldo did all the guitars on that album. The solo on Jessie’s Girl is Geraldo, not sure who played the rhythm parts. Rick’s next album is when Tim Pierce came on board.

On the Sound City video by Dave Grohl it looks like Neil played all the guitars because Rick's producer didn't like how he (Rick) played guitar :grinning:

Last edited:
I play in a cover band. I use switches 1 through 4 for scenes. I also use a scene modifier to control the gain on a few presets. For instance, I might need a fender clean for scene 1, a Marshall crunch for scene 2 and 3, and then a higher gain Marshall for lead on scene 4.

Neil Giraldo is badass! The last time I saw him, it was on TV doing one of those trade my songs shows with his wife and a country singer. He stole the show.

He should’ve fired that wife of his after the pop song well dried up in the late 80s & put out some more rocking tunes.

Back
Top Bottom