Trying to install new PU in G&L ASAT.. SOMEONE HELP!

fromthebark

Experienced
I suppose this is the right place to post this....

So about a half a year ago, I routed out my G&L asat to fit a humbucker in the neck (making it a bluesboy essentially..). It is a Bare Knuckle the Mule HB, and I love it. The 4 wire wiring schematic wasn't a problem at all. Then I got a Bare Knuckle piledriver for the bridge, Just two cables.. it was simple to install.. everything works great.
I want to use it at my road guitar now though, I'll keep the piledriver for recording and stuff..
So I got a Seymour Duncan Little 59. but I can not for the life of me wire this. It's a Tribute ASAT Classic (i have a USA S-500.. their tribute line plays just as good.. I love it.. If you're ever considering getting a squire strat or tele, look into G&L tribute, they play just as good as american made fenders IMO.)
I put the two wires together like it said, wired to ground to the vol pot.
And then here's where the trouble starts. It's a three way switch, but Whenever I google asat or telecaser 2 humbucker wiring, I get it with a schematic that has a switch with poles that alternate on either side. This has a COR-TEK 3 way switch (when ever i google cor-tek and the other key words, I only get schematics for a 5 position switch. It must be a weird switch not many guitars have.

I've gotten the neck and the bridge to work like it shows in this schematic (The closest schematic I could find for what i'm trying to do - its an ASAT with 2 HBs.. should work right? no. doesn't) :
http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/ASAT_HB_schematic_drawing.pdf
But the middle position is no sound at all. The tone knob does not work either, when I wire it like that.

Here's a picture of that schematic up there as far as I know.. it follows that diagram exactly.
Here is what I had when I had it wired like that, and it gave me bridge, neck, and no middle.
I've tried like one million other ways of wiring it.. in my trials ive gotten bridge and neck and the tone to work.. but the middle position NEVER works. if it does, it's just the neck for some reason. But I think there are like 10 million possibilities if you use actual math. So I don't think i'll get it unless someone who knows what they are doing helps me.
Ljfpj4K.jpg

THANK YOU to anyone who takes the time to check this out. You can hit me at christopherwrigley @ gmail
if you want to contact me directly.

Last edited:
By the way, i know it's messy.. I'm not very good at soldering, but I do get better everytime I do it.. I've wired in like 15 pickups in different guitars in my lifetime, never had a problem until this one. It's that damn COR-TEK switch. Seeme everytime I search, I only get results for COR-TEK 5 way switches which are the standard in Ibanez guitars I am finding out. If I can't figure it out, I'll have to get a new three way switch with the alternating side poles that every schematic has in them. This all in one line thing, I can't translate it. It's like basically converting indonesian to english. which makes sense being that's where it was put together.

One wire goes from the neck to the very outside pole, and the other wire goes to the middle.. Should a wire from the bridge HB also go to the middle? if so which?

How was the guitar originally wired? Even with single coils, it worked, right ?What was previously connected to the purple connections?
Plug your guitar into an amp and leave the volume low. Use a screwdriver to tap on the different tabs on the switch as you move the switch through the different positions.

yea ive made jumpers and touched it to two different poles in like every possible way i could, and tapped on the pickups with a screwdriver.. id always get the bridge and neck working fine, but in the middle, moving the jumper around, id get just the neck or nothing. as of now my wiring has neck and bridge working in bridge and neck positions, and still nothing in the middle.

I think I'm going to order a new switch from stewmac that looks more like the one that's in all the schematics if nobody has an answer.

Still a short somewhere or something. Might need a new volume pot or something. I got it working, but if you shake it too much, it cuts out, a good pound and it's back on. Sat i'm bringing it to my guy, buying a NORMAL switch, and getting it done right. Because the little 59 and mule HBs sound HUGE together.

Back
Top Bottom