Trying to get my AX8 sounding good.

One last thought, the factory presets in the unit may not be the updated versions for newer firmware. I would download the latest ones and install them. This may help a bunch

And one more things.. This is a great video showing how to very quickly get a plexi model sounding good. I know it's not hi gain but if you follow his steps and don't get similar results then you'll know something is wrong

I had to return my first AX8 as I could not get it to sound good, even with help from Fractal support.

The replacement unit does sound good. So, there seems to have been some issue with the first unit.

Hopefully the returned but didn’t go the through some quick test and get shipped back out to a new customer. Shouldn’t happen, but I obviously don’t know Fractal’s processes for handling returns.

I’ll preface this with: I love my ax8, sounds great, gig it all the time blah blah blah.

Ok, got that out of the way.

Have you considered that the AX8 is not for you? You mentioned that you love the helix, but you were wanting a “3d tone.” Seems like you are chasing ghosts. “3d tone” is just buzzwords. You won’t get it any more from Fractal than you will from Line 6, or Atomic.

If you find something you love that works for you, go with it and don’t look back.
Steve I talked to Matt Picone of the fractal Audio company and he helped me over the phone for over 2 hours check my reply on my post to what all the tricks that you should be focusing on. It's hard as a line 6 Helix owner I was overwhelmed and frustrated but as I got to know some simple tricks and navigated around the unit it's become easier and easier if you have a choice understand you got to make it in my position I don't necessarily have to get rid of my line 6 helix but the quality is in there you have to experiment with the amp EQ. For example but you can read my other post. One thing also Matt said it's experiment with a low cut and high-cut. A lot of times players were trying to have a low cut a 120 and to be honest with you when I played around it it should be more like the 300 to 400. The Amp I am playing through is not going to always produce that low frequency and it's going to sound like crap. I'll have to look at the notes again and try to give you more pointers. A lot of your sound is definitely going to come out of your EQ now as far as the 3D sound I'm not sure if what exactly you're talking about but I haven't read all your post as far as making it come alive or making it guitar sound like two guitars like a d tune, but anyway definitely three things to consider definitely mess with the amp settings especially the amp EQ. When you put a drive on there definitely make sure the levels all the way up the gain can be at 3 or 4 is fine the tone should be around 12 not that high. It all depends on your tastes. Finally when you go to a EQ you experiment where you want whether it be a 5 band, 7 band or 10 band. Matt said that you can have multiple EQ's to get even closer to your tones. One thing you got to keep in mind is this is a professional unit. So a lot of the professionals really experiment with a lot parameters to get what they want. that's why I'm going to keep my ax8 because the quality of the unit. Definitely experiment with the EQ with the cleans. Well good luck and I hope you find a satisfaction in this unit.

Last edited:
Steve I talked to Matt Picone of the fractal Audio company and he helped me over the phone for over 2 hours check my reply on my post to what all the tricks that you should be focusing on. It's hard as a line 6 Helix owner I was overwhelmed and frustrated but as I got to know some simple tricks and navigated around the unit it's become easier and easier if you have a choice understand you got to make it in my position I don't necessarily have to get rid of my line 6 helix but the quality is in there you have to experiment with the amp EQ. For example but you can read my other post. One thing also Matt said it's experiment with a low cut and high-cut. A lot of times players were trying to have a low cut a 120 and to be honest with you when I played around it it should be more like the 300 to 400. The Amp I am playing through is not going to always produce that low frequency and it's going to sound like crap. I'll have to look at the notes again and try to give you more pointers. A lot of your sound is definitely going to come out of your EQ now as far as the 3D sound I'm not sure if what exactly you're talking about but I haven't read all your post as far as making it come alive or making it guitar sound like two guitars like a d tune, but anyway definitely three things to consider definitely mess with the amp settings especially the amp EQ. When you put a drive on there definitely make sure the levels all the way up the gain can be at 3 or 4 is fine the tone should be around 12 not that high. It all depends on your tastes. Finally when you go to a EQ you experiment where you want whether it be a 5 band, 7 band or 10 band. Matt said that you can have multiple EQ's to get even closer to your tones. One thing you got to keep in mind is this is a professional unit. So a lot of the professionals really experiment with a lot parameters to get what they want. that's why I'm going to keep my ax8 because the quality of the unit. Definitely experiment with the EQ with the cleans. Well good luck and I hope you find a satisfaction in this unit.

Please post some sample presets. I’d be interested to see how you tweaked high gain and clean amps. Cheers.

Not sure what happened, but I was able to get some AMAZING heavy tight organic metal tones yesterday..I literally just used 5153 Blue and tweeked a little EQ...BOOM! I suspect that one of my cables was bad (Still working but causing this intermittent buzzy flubby issue (Sounded like when you turn off a cab block)..I'm still not sure if I'm digging the "have to hook it up to Axe Edit" to make major changes, but AX8 is pretty friggin sweet!!!

Not sure what happened, but I was able to get some AMAZING heavy tight organic metal tones yesterday..I literally just used 5153 Blue and tweeked a little EQ...BOOM! I suspect that one of my cables was bad (Still working but causing this intermittent buzzy flubby issue (Sounded like when you turn off a cab block)..I'm still not sure if I'm digging the "have to hook it up to Axe Edit" to make major changes, but AX8 is pretty friggin sweet!!!
Congratulations!

Note: that you don't "have to hook it up to Axe Edit" to make major changes. Just learn the front panel, and there you are. :)

I've had my AX8 since it came out, use it for gigs constantly and play with it at home a lot, and never once have hooked up Axe-Edit for anything I've tweaked or any program I've written. Everything is right on the unit and it becomes 'old hat' after you've programmed patches a few times. Good luck

Eric

I can't stand the front panel. I just bring my surface pro along. If I had a newer iPad I would just use that and Fracpad. Check that out if you haven't already. You can even do wireless if you buy a wireless midi plug.

I can't stand the front panel. I just bring my surface pro along. If I had a newer iPad I would just use that and Fracpad. Check that out if you haven't already. You can even do wireless if you buy a wireless midi plug.

Modernage guitarists! :) Do you have much experience with 80's-90's studio rack effects? Just curious. The Ax8 is no more difficult than anything I've owned since the late 80's when it comes to studio gear. I know we're all different and it's great that many of you love the editor and hooking up this extra gear to the Ax8 but to me it's just 'old hat' using the unit itself. Although I was a software systems problem solver for the State and the major hc corporations, I'm still old-school with guitar stuff and unless I'm using it to record on to a computer , don't want computers involved! I will hand it to Fractal though , to someone like me it's easy as can be to write and edit on the unit itself and they offer many other options for others. I betcha the majority of the Ax8 users use Axe-Edit and Fracpad,etc. I wonder if I'm right

Eric

I never really used rack gear so maybe that’s it. It just seems for me, editing a patch is kind of a creative process and the time it takes to navigate menus kills any creativity.

I never really used rack gear so maybe that’s it. It just seems for me, editing a patch is kind of a creative process and the time it takes to navigate menus kills any creativity.

Lol, I'm the opposite, for me bringing a computer into the equation would kill any creative flow! Unless again I was sitting down at home recording through the computer, or inventing 'computer copy/paste music' . . The good thing here is everyone can figure out what works for them. p.s. I'm getting on the older side of 'rock guitarists who are still at it full force' at 57. I've lived rack gear since it was first introduced and collected pedals since the mid 70's! Haven't ever stopped loving gear, and although the music today is nowhere near as complex and diverse as it was in the past, the gear choices for guitarists are BY FAR the best ever!

Eric

Back
Top Bottom