Trying to get a Stryman Timeline dual delay ‘wash’

I listened to his delays vids more closely, well in the end, it just sounds like the deluxe mind delay type, in tape config, head 1 at 500ms head 2 ratio 75%, feedbacks around 25% and maybe a slightly broader EQ. Tie an expression pedal to Diffusion and voila, what do I miss?

So the pedal goes to diffusion and not to the mix?

Had to watch more vids and read the strymon's manual to believe his pedal is tied to the mix%. So it's not what washes the sound, it just makes it more apparent. ook..

So my final take on Timmon's delay. The only tricky washy thing comes from the detune... sadly, the normal delay block doesn't have a LFO "down" function, so back to the plex detune :

The pedal is attached to master level instead of mix, works the same.

Attachments

• Timeline clone.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Had to watch more vids and read the strymon's manual to believe his pedal is tied to the mix%. So it's not what washes the sound, it just makes it more apparent. ook..

So my final take on Timmon's delay. The only tricky washy thing comes from the detune... sadly, the normal delay block doesn't have a LFO "down" function, so back to the plex detune :

I played around with the preset you put up last night. I noticed the repeats increase. Is this a byproduct of the plex? I'm not well versed in delays other than putting a digital or tape delay in my loop or chain.

Here's another video of Timmons using 2 Memory Man units:

The repeats after the first repeat are less noticeable and decay in a way that's like a reverb but also stays out of the main signal tone. I guess the easy way is two delay blocks but then I'll have to get rid of my aquaphoozer block.

The repeats on Andy rig rundown sounds pretty dark to me. I used quite a bit of hi cut in my take on it compared to speedys.

I agree mine is probably brighter..

@Bman I added a bit more decay, you can try 5s instead. But close mic'd it might be drier and less subtle than you think. Compare to a properly mic'd example, at 15:30

It's not the same algos so it will always be a bit different, even the decay. To get closer you can open a thread in the wishes section and ask for a "down" LFO option in the normal delay block to use it with the deluxe mind / tape mode, which has a better sound treatment and also the drive function that's missing in the plex detune.

Mind that Timmons didn't choose the timeline over a hundred other nearly identical options that have all the same possibilities, because of little differences in algos and circuits that make or break his playing. He wanted a duel delay that has the detune and not many pedals offer it. Same with the 500ms base. He didn't choose 500ms because it sounded better than 505 or 495. It's a choice born from a lack of options, or from his own ballpark mentality. The Timeline doesn't sound like the echoplex, and it doesn't disturb him, so should we be disturbed if the AX8 doesn't either?

I'll give that tweak a try. The question I had about your preset was that I hear the repeats increasing in speed as they trail off. Is that by design? I don't notice it in AT's videos. I say that as I'm about to watch the one you just posted.

And thanks for taking the time to play with this. I almost bought a second delay for my traditional rig to try to get this sound. Maybe I should throw my DD3 in the effects loops to save some CPU?

And thanks for having started the thread. The repeats don't get faster, I think the detune and its phasey effect from the feedback creates the auditive illusion, a narrowing effect that gives the sensation of speed.

Yup it will be hard to make a full Timmons patch when the plex detune costs so much CPU..

And thanks for having started the thread. The repeats don't get faster, I think the detune and its phasey effect from the feedback creates the auditive illusion, a narrowing effect that gives the sensation of speed.

Yup it will be hard to make a full Timmons patch when the plex tune costs so much CPU..
Try the tap delay set either 500 or 1/4 set the right ratio to 75% Then you can experiment to get some of that wow a flutter he likes so much

@brokenvail You mean the tape? The issue is that the pitch modulations flutter down and also up above the note, it makes nice chorus effects but not that 'falling' type. Otherwise it would be ideal..

@brokenvail You mean the tape? The issue is that the pitch modulations flutter down and also up above the note, it makes nice chorus effects but not that 'falling' type. Otherwise it would be ideal..

I think the modulation there is basically a sine LFO.

When he plays the short chords the pitch drops and returns as repeats continue. If he played it a half second later by chance there, it would have probably gone up in pitch then back down.

since he has loves an echo plex and used the memory man those pitches def both go up and down. Also wonder what if the delay was set in parallel with rest of grid and pitch blk set to detune behind it?

Damn you're right guys. And the Deluxe modulation revolves around the pitch just like the AX8 LFOs, so a normal tape delay must do the trick...

I'm a big fan of AT. Though i don't try to replicate his delay tone exact, I'm not in front of my AX8 right now, but, i just use a tape delay 1 @500ms and 2 @ 75%(350ms) gets me pretty close.The rest is a tweakers dream.
I've tried parallel delay blocks, 1@500ms, the other @350ms works great also but chews up CPU and i have other FX i use so i just go with the 1st mentioned.

How exactly? How to set the feedback parameters you mentioned? Thanks
i don't know what exactly you're going for, so i can't say. try turning the feedback knobs up one at a time and listening to what they do. then try them in combination. just use your ears! :)

Back
Top Bottom