Trying to get a Stryman Timeline dual delay ‘wash’

Bman

Power User
I’ve been trying to get a dual delay wash effect like Andy Timmons, Pete Thorn or Steve Morse. They all use an expression pedal to blend the delay in. I’ve tried the mutlitap but I’m not able to get it to sound like a huge reverb like they do. Plus their core tone still sticks out. I know Morse uses a w/d/w set up but the Thorn and Timmons get it out of their Timelines or two Memory Man units.

I’ve tried to ‘borrow’ Larry Mitchell’s from his Lifepad present but I’m not getting the wash.

Any tricks?

Timmons uses two delays in series set to 500/350ms. You have to use two delay blocks to get a true series setting but you can get close using one dual,delay block. Try the memory man type

It almost sounds like the Delay has a LFO attached to it but it's had to say as it looks like he stepped on one of the buttons just before he plays the run then cobbs the wet mix on the expression pedal.

I have a preset that sounds similar that has a rotary in the chain! that with a delay set to the right repetes sounds pretty close.

In theory the single delay block should work but it just doesn't work for me. I run the two blocks in series, but in parallel with my dry path and both mixes set to 100%. I think the difference is the second short delay never sees any dry signal so you don't get a short repeat until after the first long repeat. This is what Timmons repeats sound like to me. And a very little modulation on the long repeat sound good to me. I'll try to upload a patch if I get time later today

timmons' delays are in parallel, not in series. in stereo, they're panned hard right and left. 350 one side and 500 the other

I think the difference is the second short delay never sees any dry signal so you don't get a short repeat until after the first long repeat. This is what Timmons repeats sound like to me.

That's not what they are though.

Can you hear the repeats making this rhythm when he picks the muted strings in the video from the other thread?

dxNhZyz.png

Times are approximate; they're actually around 350/460 on video. The reason there's a 300 and 400 ms repeat is because both delays get dry signal immediately. 600 is the second repeat from the 300 ms delay, 700 is delay 1's first repeat echoed by delay 2 (order doesn't matter)...

Last edited:
timmons' delays are in parallel, not in series. in stereo, they're panned hard right and left. 350 one side and 500 the other

I did t think his rig is stereo. It been awhile since I watched the full thing but I thought he used the two amps for flavor.

That's not what's they are though.

Can you hear the repeats making this rhythm when he picks the muted strings in the video from the other thread?

dxNhZyz.png

Times are approximate; they're actually around 350/460 on video. The reason there's a 300 and 400 ms repeat is because both delays get dry signal immediately. 600 is the second repeat from the 300 ms delay, 700 is delay 1's first repeat echoed by delay 2 (order doesn't matter)...

I did just listen again and yes you are totally right. I hear the first delay hit almost immediately followed by the second. I don’t see how that would happen without dry signal hitting the second block. Funny thing is I’m getting that in series with the first delay block at 100% mix into the second block if I remember correct. Maybe I’m losing my mind. I’m going back through my patch and I’ll post it up soon.

I spent some time on the Timmon's patch today. Reworked the amp settings for 9.04 as well as the delays. This is sounding really sweet on my guitar. I still need to go back and try a single dual block and plex, quad, etc to see how they stack up. I've got the modulation speed linked to an LFO so it slows and speeds a bit to simulate tape flutter. Fun stuff!

The patch is made on a XL+ at studio volumes, factory cab, on an ibanez with BKP VH pups. Andy likes to have a fair amount of gain on his clean patch and roll his guitar vol back so your sound may vary quite a bit depending on treble bleed etc. For different guitars I would recommend dialing in the hi and lo cuts in the drive block if needed.

I will try to record a clip soon to post up with the patch

Attachments

• TB5s TIMMONS.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I never had issues getting the dual delay to ruffly be what AT. Someone a few yeats back told me that they get it with the tape delay and setting the right ratio to 75%. they said that was how he got his delay on the TL, said he used a 1 tap delay. It tried it and liked the results and almost always roll with the tape delay

I listened to his delays vids more closely, well in the end, it just sounds like the deluxe mind delay type, in tape config, head 1 at 500ms head 2 ratio 75%, feedbacks around 25% and maybe a slightly broader EQ. Tie an expression pedal to Diffusion and voila, what do I miss?

Back
Top Bottom