Trying to figure out if the Axe-FX 2 will do what I want...

Hey all :)

So I've been trying to get monstrous guitar sounds in a bedroom with a real amp. I get close, but after spending a day in an ACTUAL studio, I can tell that it's not going to happen.

So it's time to think outside the box a little and look at things that can help me take in things (such as room and volume) out of the equation. Hello Axe-FX.

Question #1
Now the trick here is that I've used other guitar modellers before (Spent about 2 years with Amplitube 3) and never got anything worthwhile. I know it takes a while to find sounds that you're *really* happy with from the Axe-FX but due to my other experience with modellers, I wonder if I am skilled enough with tweaking to get what I want out of it.

At this point in time, I'm looking at Re-Amping my recent project in a legit studio and tracking the whole album in a day or two, then mixing it myself because I'm a masochistic bastard. However, that gives me access to the raw guitar tones...

IN THEORY: Could I use those raw guitar tones PLUS the tone-match with an Axe-FX to get pretty much an identical sound to the recorded sound? That'd be awfully convenient, especially if I ever had to re-record a part.

Question #2
I do not want to use the Axe-FX II as my audio interface. But I DO want to use Axe-Edit and tone-match and everything like that. Is that possible or will that only work with the Axe-FX as the audio interface?

Question #3
I love my pedalboard. Yeah, I know the Axe-FX has amazing effects, but I'm very comfortable with my pedals that are all different shapes, colours and sizes. Also, at this point my feet almost know where to go out of muscle memory. Can I still plug my pedalboard into an Axe-FX and have the effects work just as well? I don't use an effects loop, everything goes straight into the front of my amp, so I'm hoping I could run the same setup with an Axe-FX.

Question #4
Foldback. The most valuable resource to a live musician. Perhaps the most attractive thing about an Axe-FX is rocking up to a gig without a cab to lug up and down stairs, into a car etc. etc. etc. However, without a cab blowing air behind your legs, I would imagine foldback can be a bit of an issue. Could I run the Axe-FX into a wireless earbud system as well as Front-Of-House?

1) yes, you could tone match your studio tones
2) yes, everything works without the axe being the audio interface - just plug in the usb cable
3) yes, you fx will work just the same
4) feedback is not an issue. foldback can be an issue, because most pa monitors you find at venues are horrible pieces of shit that sound like crap. better to bring your own wedge with you that sounds good. you have four outs on the back of the axe fx in two stereo pairs, so if you could send to foh in stereo, use one side of the other pair for your personal monitor and the other side for your earbuds...or any combination/variation that you need

Thanks for the info so far.

So here's a filthy dirty question.

Why would I use the Axe-FX to tone-match instead of a Kemper?

Edit: Also: does the tone-match thing just work as an impulse? Or does it model the tone as well?

Last edited:
....more flexibility, deeper editing options, two amps at a time, Way more and better Fx, Advanced routing....Never played a Kemper by myself, but I know some happy customers. it's cheaper....but you get what you Pay for....the Kemper is for sure the closest competition to the axe...but I won't ever change my axe2 for 3 of them...just my 2c...

....more flexibility, deeper editing options, two amps at a time, Way more and better Fx, Advanced routing....Never played a Kemper by myself, but I know some happy customers. it's cheaper....but you get what you Pay for....the Kemper is for sure the closest competition to the axe...but I won't ever change my axe2 for 3 of them...just my 2c...

All are fair points except...
A) As I said, I'm so comfortable with my pedalboard I'd rather use my own effects
B) I'm not really interested in tweaking the sound. If I was going to tone-match something, I'd kinda want to set-and-forget.

...then maybe the Kemper Could be "your" Tool....maybe some will call me a heretic now :) ...but Check Out the Fx-Loop possibilities...don't know whether this Works quite well like in the Axe2...
...but from the Routing side the limitations of the Kemper could become a Problem...Kemper is "quick & Dirty"...Axefx2 is "no limitations"....

Back
Top Bottom