Trying to do a DIY Streets Preset - learning how much I don't know.

USMC_Trev

Axe-Master
This is a learning exercise so I can actually say I did it myself, using this as a resource:
A Study of The Edge's Guitar Delay (U2) -- Where the Streets Have No Name (The Joshua Tree)

So far I have the input signal split to two CLASS-A 30W TB and each has its own cab set to OH_212_BOG-SH_ALN_SLV_Studio-Modern. Each then goes to its own delay block > Reverb panned hard left and right here. then merged at a Vol/Pan block to bring the two chains back together.

Here I am, bailing out on the DIY part, in need of some help. So I would like to know if this makes sense so far.

Should I be panning them +/- 100% like that?

Is the Vol/Pan block the right choice or should it be something else for the merge?

Second thing where I run into head scratching is which of the many delay types should I use?

There's 3 delays. This is the most likely signal path (either option will sound the same):

Guitar (Stratocaster) -> Signal split A/B:

A -> 352ms (1-2 repeats) == 3/16 @ 129 bpm
with modulation
[ with input signal + about 70% delay volume mix ] -> Amp #1 --- Panned mostly Right

B -> 523ms (1 repeat only) == 9/32 @ 129 bpm
with modulation
[ with input signal + about 50% delay volume mix ] -> Amp #2 --- Panned mostly Left

This is another point of confusion. How do I all at the same time set the delay times, # repeats and get the 3/16th? Is he saying that 352ms @129 BPM with 1-2 repeats equal up to about 3/16ths? Would 1/16th TRIP do that for me?

And what about 9/32nds? The other part is the three delays...

Then there;s one of the comments:
Delay? TRY THIS ONCE AND YOU'LL BE A BELIEVER, I promise you. As far as delay I haven't seen one right answer on this page. There are only 2 separate delays, and after hours of intensive study i finally found the timing. 1st delay - 115ms 2nd delay - 360ms Both volume levels are actually pretty close, but you'll have to play around with that to see what sounds best on your equipment. Note that when you are using these proper delay settings, the first note you play at the beginning of the song (12th fret) is only played once, the second is actually coming from the 360ms delay. The feedback should be set at a level where the 360ms delay fades out completely by the 4th or 5th delay. Hope this helps you!

Adding to much confusion.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I can help you do what you set out to do. That said, I'm familiar with two U2 forums that have played host to endless discussions regarding the number and type of delays; serial vs. parallel delays, etc. Yet the best Axe-Fx presets/covers I've heard for this song tend to keep it simple: a single (digital mono) 354ms (dotted eighth) modulated delay, with 4-5 repeats, into a single AC 30. Good enough for me, at any rate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would do this

put a 2290 in with delay time set to 354 as kfleigner suggests, but put it before the amps. set one amp to left in and one to right in. place a cab after each and pan the cabs left and right. set the modultion time of the 2290 to about 3.5hz and the depth to 25%

merge the output of both cabs (you don't need a block to do this, just join the lines together) and then place the reverb after the join

i've looked at that guys page with all the supposed delay times and i think a lot of it is bull

Sorry guys I was just out running around. I just got ahold of my grandfather's mandolin (a circa 1938 Strad-O-Lin) that has the tail piece half ripped out so I took it down the hill to see about some repairs.

Yeah that website did seem overly complicated not to mention confusing as hell. I am still trying to learn how to manipulate these delays in the Axe-FX. I'm trying learn to not depend on the kindness (presets) of others (Fremen, Yek, and all y'all). Not that I don't appreciate, but talk about a crutch, holy fuckaroni.

How do I set the number of repeats? That's a part that I can't seem to find.

Sorry guys I was just out running around. I just got ahold of my grandfather's mandolin (a circa 1938 Strad-O-Lin) that has the tail piece half ripped out so I took it down the hill to see about some repairs.

Yeah that website did seem overly complicated not to mention confusing as hell. I am still trying to learn how to manipulate these delays in the Axe-FX. I'm trying learn to not depend on the kindness (presets) of others (Fremen, Yek, and all y'all). Not that I don't appreciate, but talk about a crutch, holy fuckaroni.

How do I set the number of repeats? That's a part that I can't seem to find.

Number of repeats is a function of the feedback. Usually, 20% will give you 2 repeats, 40% - 4 repeats, etc. That's approximate but it turns out fairly correct.

The number of repeats will depend on the delay type used and it's eq characteristics. Just use your ears.

I see what you're saying Sim I just don't generally have a lot of time to faff about so if I can get closer quicker with some quick data gathering I gotta give it a go.

This may run contrary to what you're going for in this thread, but I've never been convinced that Edge uses a dual delay setup for this song. I know that using two delays definitely works, and really creates a strong 16th note rhythm for the intro/outro, but I find it either a) gets to muddy, or b) it's easy have the delays feel like they're running away with you. I also feel that, because Edge has so much in his rig, that it's tempting to think things are more complicated than they are. Really, I think it's just a lot of different effects units, used in combinations of one or two at a time, and some used for one or two songs only. Anywho, this is what I've been using for Streets, and I feel it gets a pretty close sound, but it will depend on the guitar.

View attachment U2.syx

Back
Top Bottom