Trying to convince indie kids AX8 doesn't sound like shit...

Sorry, I don't get the problem? If they feel better with their analog rig, they should use it. I would like to be in my comfort zone for a recording. If you don't have the possibility to mic their amps, they will have to find and pay somebody who has. I feel comfortable with my AX8, but would never try to convince anybody to like it too...

This is the whole reason I went for the Axe.... I had great amp tones but they never translated in mic'd recording and gigging. Not to mention I was blowing my ears out getting the amps to their sweet spot.

I'm with @glombi, if they want to record with there amps then so be it. What is so great about being a guitar player these days is all the gear choices we have. You should only make suggestions to them and then do as they are paying you for. the fractal products are great, but not for every one.

I think the payment should reflect the time and work put into recording an analogue rig, no DI track. They should also have the option to go this route if that's their wish. If they still want to live in the past...well...its their loss..let them pay for the extra time.

If you want to convince them digital is indistinguishable - set up a blind sound/play test. If they accept to try it they won't be able to tell the difference. Take a picture of their expressions when they're guessing wrong, and post it here :) *LOL*

Sorry, I don't get the problem? If they feel better with their analog rig, they should use it. I would like to be in my comfort zone for a recording. If you don't have the possibility to mic their amps, they will have to find and pay somebody who has. I feel comfortable with my AX8, but would never try to convince anybody to like it too...
Agreed.

I have the AX8 because it makes sense for me, right now. If I was in a different situation, you don't think I'd also have a Freidman half-stack and a vintage Plexi and a Boogie Mark V? Damn straight I would!

Firstly - you record bands in an apartment?. Holy shit - your poor neighbours!
Secondly - it's all about capturing the artists in their most comfortable domain - the music sounds better that way. If an artist prefers the rig they have spent a bunch of time getting used to (and who doesn't), then perhaps the recorder should do their best to accomodate that. If there is more noise than the fractal product, or if the sound not quite as pristine, then we deal with that via microphone selection, positioning, or amplifier location. Don't misunderstand, I think I can be counted as a fractal fanboy - but I'd never be prescriptive with another musicians rig - that's up to them.
Just my take and I have been wrong before!
Thanks
Pauly

There's an argument younger people should be more sensible to, which are not "sound" subjects : Axe Fx for studio work is a very ecological product and totally "green" in replacing amps, less waste, less use of electrical current and natural ressources than a good old classic amp. It's also more durable : no tube replacement with expensive tungsten material waste, less spending of money (consumerism). It's more healthy : no pain in the back and less use of medical expenses. Less space needed (imagine having to stock only 10% of the on-board amps and the place and construction expenses that would need. etc. etc.

PS : Ah that was my message nr 1000 ! So much thanks to FAS for alle the fun it has procured over the years; I don't think ever having written 1000 messages on another forum, not even on facebook.

I would just show them this vid and they think that the digital versus analog argument still has any validity then they have been smoke'n too much glue!

Last edited:
Do these young bands use drive pedals in their 'pure' signal path?

Yea thought so.

K, then record an AX8 track, and a conventional amp track. Blind test them.

my complaint is they won't even give it a chance.

For loud sources like guitars and drums, it's location based recording. I'll only do vocals and direct stuff at my place.

I'm all for people using their own stuff. It's just when I don't charge much since most of these bands are broke, I want to do things as efficiently as possible.

It's like what was stated earlier - they won't try it because it doesn't go with their "image".

Yea thought so.

And this matters how? You're telling me stuff from Jimi, to Eric Johnson, Shawn Lane just to name a few has issues in the tone department cause theu use drive pedals as oppossed to narrowing the band width in the amp with pre amp gain?

T
my complaint is they won't even give it a chance.

For loud sources like guitars and drums, it's location based recording. I'll only do vocals and direct stuff at my place.

I'm all for people using their own stuff. It's just when I don't charge much since most of these bands are broke, I want to do things as efficiently as possible.

It's like what was stated earlier - they won't try it because it doesn't go with their "image".
ell you what whe I was young I had to fall on my ass a few times beofre I listened, as they say youth is wasted on the young...
I usually don't work on stuff unless I can rip it apart at will.
That said I have no issues recording a combo at apartment volumes.

Yea thought so.

And this matters how? You're telling me stuff from Jimi, to Eric Johnson, Shawn Lane just to name a few has issues in the tone department cause theu use drive pedals as oppossed to narrowing the band width in the amp with pre amp gain?

I would think it somewhat obvious. The OP mentioned that these young groups wanted to keep their signal path, 'pure', all tube, etc. The minute they start adding pedals to that equation, it is all moot. The minute, they use offboard fx on the mix, even if they DID just use guitar and amp, mic'ed., the point is moot.

Not a darn thing wrong with using pedals,, OD, distortion, or any other kind.. But, thinking that using a dirt pedal to get distortion in that amp at non amp-driving volumes, is well, short-sighted.

I would think it somewhat obvious. The OP mentioned that these young groups wanted to keep their signal path, 'pure', all tube, etc. The minute they start adding pedals to that equation, it is all moot. The minute, they use offboard fx on the mix, even if they DID just use guitar and amp, mic'ed., the point is moot.

Not a darn thing wrong with using pedals,, OD, distortion, or any other kind.. But, thinking that using a dirt pedal to get distortion in that amp at non amp-driving volumes, is well, short-sighted.
Well the quote was keeping it analog...
And it's far from being short sighted. It all depends what is required. A regular Fender type amp has a tendency to get cranky when pushed, sure isn't of any use for high gain lines, but stacking drives in front of it at non cranked volumes will get you results that have surpised folks.

Well the quote was keeping it analog...
And it's far from being short sighted. It all depends what is required. A regular Fender type amp has a tendency to get cranky when pushed, sure isn't of any use for high gain lines, but stacking drives in front of it at non cranked volumes will get you results that have surpised folks.
I don't disagree about the pedals or certainly many Fenders. And I knew what the OP paraphrased quote was. But, come on, I know you have heard that cork sniffery attitude before, "It has to be all analog" used interchangeably with "It's got to be all tube", PARTICULARY as an argument against modeling tech..

and the shortsighted comment was supposed to be read as, insert is all analog/tube for the is, i.e. "But, thinking that using a dirt pedal to get distortion in that amp at non amp-driving volumes, is all analog/tube, is, well, short-sighted.

I love my FAS gear but still think amps are cool! The wood, tolex, chassis, electronic bits and... yummy, vacuum tubes....The tone! I think the kids must pay their dues and learn their way around gear at their own leisure/interest. Wanting to have your own gear on a record is understandable. Sometimes those items combined (instrument/amp/pedal) are what inspired the song in the first place!
If the studio doesn't have the capability of recording their preferred instruments maybe the client should look elsewhere. I'd appreciate suggestions to try different gear but would be pissed off, for example if someone wanted to impose for me to use the guitars or amps of their choice.
Being vehemently "anti-digital" or "anti-analog" are just two sides of the same coin. Just being devil's advocate here.

As for me, I'll be using exclusively my XL and/or AX8 for any and all of my future guitar/bass recordings in an effort to try to stay one step ahead and sound better than those "retro-analog-hipster" kids!:D (Which, IME, there aren't as many around, unlike those tech savvy kids that get killer tones with their Pod Farms and Bias Fx and an iPad, watch out for those trouble makers, LOL)

Back
Top Bottom