Trying to convince indie kids AX8 doesn't sound like shit...

ghost219

Inspired
I've been in the process of recording local bands (mostly younger indie bands) and most of them insist on using their combo amps but without the space to really crank them (I live in an apartment). Naturally, I offer using my AX8 for tracking guitars and bass. That's when they freak out and say they want to keep everything analog and blah blah blah.

I get wanting to use your own amp because you have it dialed in. They always try to make the case for it being digital and saying people will be able to tell. Everything has to be analoge for them.

I'm like: "You do realize that I'll be recording you through an Apollo into Pro Tools, right?"

I want to say the stigma lies in the association with djent and the whole typical Line 6 fizziness.
These kids are bigger tone snobs than the guys that HAVE had the huge rigs that have switched over. :p

sorry. rant over.

I've been in the process of recording local bands (mostly younger indie bands) and most of them insist on using their combo amps but without the space to really crank them (I live in an apartment). Naturally, I offer using my AX8 for tracking guitars and bass. That's when they freak out and say they want to keep everything analog and blah blah blah.

I get wanting to use your own amp because you have it dialed in. They always try to make the case for it being digital and saying people will be able to tell. Everything has to be analoge for them.

I'm like: "You do realize that I'll be recording you through an Apollo into Pro Tools, right?"

I want to say the stigma lies in the association with djent and the whole typical Line 6 fizziness.
These kids are bigger tone snobs than the guys that HAVE had the huge rigs that have switched over. :p

sorry. rant over.

Same shit here.
Even have to fight my own bandmates about it.
I don't think it has anything to do with djent.
There IS something cool about playing through and recording with a tube amp.
But since it's 10x easier and the results will sound at least as good with the axefx, I wish people would leave the scene points and fashon contest at the door.

Same shit here.
Even have to fight my own bandmates about it.
I don't think it has anything to do with djent.
There IS something cool about playing through and recording with a tube amp.
But since it's 10x easier and the results will sound at least as good with the axefx, I wish people would leave the scene points and fashon contest at the door.
Hit the nail on the head. That's what it seems to be all about. I hate using the word hipster but if the shoe fits...

So if they come to a track during the mixing process and decide it needs more gain / less gain, they're content with setting up the rig again and re-recording the entire part again?

What are schools teaching kids these days?

those types of kids have always shut their mouths after playing a fractal through a power amp and cab.

except to whine about not being able to afford one that is

di track them and they won't have a clue once you hand things back to them

So if they come to a track during the mixing process and decide it needs more gain / less gain, they're content with setting up the rig again and re-recording the entire part again?

What are schools teaching kids these days?
I've found that they feel so confident about their tone that re-tracking isn't an issue. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot, that's on them. Not to be a dick but I don't want to spend any more time on their tone than they do.

those types of kids have always shut their mouths after playing a fractal through a power amp and cab.

except to whine about not being able to afford one that is

di track them and they won't have a clue once you hand things back to them
Man, I'd love to. They're keen to the ways of the DI.

Isn't studio time expensive? Doesn't it make a significant difference in price if they choose to go the 'analog' route? Or do all these kids have loads of money nowadays?

Well at least we can all agree that these indie kids wouldn't know great tone if it jumped out and punched them in the throat.

I don't agree with that and don't think it's the point.

I think it's understandable to be concerned that someones vintage fender combo with nice worn in speaker and expensive NOS tubes needs to make an appearance on your record.

They may have nailed their perfect tone and are scared that digital won't come across the same.
As an AX8 user, I think that there is a 99% chance that they can find their perfect tone to be in the mix by going digital.
But if they can't after they've given it an honest try, and want to pay you to place mics, then I think that's ok too.

I think the thing that's annoying (for me, and I think the OP), is when people won't even be open minded to trying the idea, to see if it can indeed achieve their perfect tone while saving everyone time and money.
And the sneaking suspicion that it may not actually be the tone thing that scares them, but the imagery.

If that's their attitude then nothing you can do will convince them; "it needs to be analog" is just a fashion statement in the 21st century. The primary concern when tracking should always be about what works best for the song and sounds best in the mix. Anyone worried about their musical legitimacy being tied to a piece of equipment should quit music and start selling shoes.

Back
Top Bottom