Trying decide what to do rack wise

JustinAiken

Inspired
Okay, my original plan was to use a DJ style rack, with rack units in the bottom, and pedals on top, so I could reach the knobs easy. But I've since decided to sell all my pedals (KoT, Keeley comp, GRX4, EHX 2880 avail now...) and just use the Axe-FX along with a looperlative for looping. So now the DJ style mixing rack is awkward and clumsy, I'm trying to decide on a replacement.

Must be racked;

AxeFX (2U)
looper (1U)
MW1 DI/buffer/reamp (1U)

Then I also have a 1U power supply, a MOTU Micro express (will fit in half a rackspace), and a patch panel.

I can't decide between these options:

1) Get a 6U shallow rack, velcro the MOTU on top of my power supply, the MOTU and a 1/2U patch panel will share 1U of rack space
2) Same as above, but put the MOTU and a small surge thing (instead of the 1U one I have now) on a 1U shelf, use a full 1U patch panel
3) Get a 4U non-shallow rack, velcro a power supply and the MOTU in the back somewhere, put the patch panel on the back rails
4) Some combination of above

Basically, I'm looking for something as light/small as possible, while having everything I need easily accessible (the patch panel be most of what I need in/out - Audio out L/R, DI Out, Line in, 4 MIDI ports, extra TS/TRS ins for extra pedals)

Any advice?

If your going to be lugging it around I would go for the 6 space rack ether SKB or Gator to save on weight then get a small dolly to wheel it around or go a rolling rack, handle and wheels all in one type.

i reckon your third option is the best. get a deeper rack and mount what you can on the back in order to make it easier to lugg, (not so high). i'm trying to track down a gig skinz 3U rack bag for my setup. i'll have to put rear rails on it though. easy enough. also i have an mks power pad II power supply mounted in the back which i use to give phantom power to my gordius plus i've also rigged a couple of cute Bright leds to the 9V dc outputs of the power supply so i can see inside the back of the case without needing a torch on a dark stage. i also plug the axe fx into the AC output of the power supply so that when i flick the power supply on, everything come on all at once, (lights, controller, and axe). i dig it, can you tell?

I got one of these: http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/prod ... php?id=148
5U, on wheels with handle. 2U for the Axe, 1U for my power amp, 2U reserved for the
MFC on a shelf (I'm using a Ground Control until then).

In the back I have velcro to keep things in place and tidy, a power bar that everything
hooks into and my G50 wireless receiver - currently velcroed on top of my power amp.
One button and one power cable for everything like geamala and a single 7pin midi
cable that goes out to the midi controller. All my cables and pedals (volume, midi)
fit in the rack, so it's nice and compact, quick to setup and tear down.

The rack itself was a bit bigger than I expected (note the exterior width), and the back
door could be more robust. So far I'm happy with it though.

geamala: I'm curious about those leds - care to share a bit more info? I hate it when I've
almost set everything up but need to switch the amp to bridge and it's pitch black
back there :)

Back
Top Bottom