Try This

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
If you have one our cab packs (say Cab Pack 14) try this:
Set the Cabinet block to Stereo UltraRes (or just Stereo).
Choose an R121 IR for the left.
Choose an SM57 IR for the right.
Set the right delay to 0.110 ms.

It probably works with ML IRs too but I haven't tried it yet.

The math says that this puts a notch at f = 1 / (2 * tau) = 1 / (0.22 ms) = 4545 Hz but I don't hear a notch just a marked increase in clarity.

Panned center for each IR?

When you say one of your cab packs, is that for any MPT and time of flight trimmed IR's?

I have used that mic combo or the e609 and 121 for years minus the slight delay and have always loved it!! I can't how many times I have mentioned it here

If you have one our cab packs (say Cab Pack 14) try this:
Choose an R121 IR for the left.
Choose an SM57 IR for the right.
Set the right delay to 0.110 ms.

It probably works with ML IRs too but I haven't tried it yet.

The math says that this puts a notch at f = 1 / (2 * tau) = 1 / (0.22 ms) = 4545 Hz but I don't hear a notch just a marked increase in clarity.

Do you mean IR's shot with those mics or do you mean to use the SM57 and R121 mic options in the cab block? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I only use the none option on the mics.

I've run stereo cabs hard-panned L/R with a delay of .1 ms for about a year. Don't know exactly what its doing but I like the sound.

What's the name of that equation or where can I find out more about it? I've always liked learning the science behind things.

What's the name of that equation or where can I find out more about it? I've always liked learning the science behind things.

Frequency (in Hz) times time (in seconds) is the total number of complete cycles. This is essentially the definition of frequency in Hz(=cycles/second).

For maximum destructive interference (looking for a notch at a frequency), your signals should be half a cycle apart (or 180 degrees out of phase, if you like). This gives the equation

frequency*(.00011) = 1/2, or frequency=1/(2*.00011) = 4545 Hz

Nice and chunky with the Cali cab, I forget which Cab Pack it's from; R121 in the Left and the SM57 in the "right" but both panned center. I just had to adjust the Graphic EQ a bit to bring back some high and it really has a nice thick chunky clarity to it. Using the USA IIC+ Brt/Dp with Mark EQ pre power amp. Set in a gentle "V"

Frickin sounds great, I'm going to try some of the Ownhammer ones. At least I got done with my workout before I picked up the guitar (all this week) :D

What pan settings for the cabs? Hard panned? In the Middle?

Edit : My experience after trying.

+50/-50 pan (default?) results in a dark/muddy tone with CP 13
When I hard panned the cabs it resulted in a significant improvement in tone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom