True Story

I think I remember you said you're in a kind of rural area, so I guess finding a replacement drummer wouldn't be easy, but damn that's gotta suck on a few levels, especially the one in which you bought a 2nd FM3. One of the many reasons I hate bands: turnover problems.
When they're good, it's really fun. But ime, finding and keeping good members (ie, stable people), is tough if you don't live in a populated area. Mine's kind of like that.

I think I remember you said you're in a kind of rural area, so I guess finding a replacement drummer wouldn't be easy, but damn that's gotta suck on a few levels, especially the one in which you bought a 2nd FM3. One of the many reasons I hate bands: turnover problems.
When they're good, it's really fun. But ime, finding and keeping good members (ie, stable people), is tough if you don't live in a populated area. Mine's kind of like that.

For sure. Green Acres.

I feel lucky to have found a guy I can both get along with and play music with for nearly 20
years now---in spite of the Helix situation. ;)

In the past I have driven 60 miles one way to rehearse with a band, and sometimes 200 one way just
to do a gig. Heck, the now incarcerated drummer was driving 50 miles one way just to rehearse.

No traffic, though. :)

I have had to pick up the sticks a couple of times in the past, and actually played drums at the 2 biggest
shows we have ever done, but it's certainly not my preference. It's hard work and you sit on your ass all the
time, which is such a weird combo.

Oh, and I probably wasn't going to ever use the dual FM3 setup there. That's mostly for my own jollies, and kept
me from getting an Axe FX III. But it was fun getting to know the Fractal-verse in a band setting.

This is actually the tale of a crime. :)

I have been listening to the other guitar player in a band I play with, using his Variax into Helix
setup, turn up louder and louder the past few weeks (to the point of now piping his rig through
the Monitors during rehearsal!!). We rehearse with a drummer on an acoustic kit and to keep from
becoming way too loud we mutually agreed to only pipe vocals through the Monitors and Mains
and use backline monitoring for our guitars.

This has apparently changed since I started to use the FM3 into the FX return of a tube
amp. Coincidence?? ;)

It's his place and he has unilaterally chosen to run his rig louder through the Monitors
and Mains than his backline. I can hear the singer struggling to keep up now. No shit!

I know that the other guitar player is literally trying to "drown" out the superior tones
he is hearing from my side of the room. ;)

While it's kind of funny, it's also damn annoying because I am not gonna do the volume wars
with a guy whose insecurity is now somehow conjoined with the slider on the Mains. ;)
So you're saying your other guitar player is David Lee Roth😂😂😂😂

Maybe your FM3 through the tube amp is too loud for him and he's trying to keep up? Did you guys discuss the balance you hear in the room? If he started doing this after you started using that setup he is either hearing you more and turning up or he's jealous.

Trying to keep this thread updated as developments come in. The latest
is me loaning one of my 2 FM3s to the Helix owning guitar player. He
picked it up yesterday and is gonna check it out for a couple of weeks.

Kind of had a feeling it might go this way. :)

Just another update:

Received the FM3 back from my buddy. He's deciding to stick with the Helix,
mostly because of how it pairs with his Tyler Variax for different tunings at the
flick of a switch.

Ugh!!! Yes, it is more versatile for getting into some acoustic modeling and altered tunings.

Yes, it also still sounds a bit like ass. To me. :(

But he's my buddy, so I still gifted him some Prime Rib to cook over the Holidays
for his family. 🍻 🍻

This is actually the tale of a crime. :)

I have been listening to the other guitar player in a band I play with, using his Variax into Helix
setup, turn up louder and louder the past few weeks (to the point of now piping his rig through
the Monitors during rehearsal!!). We rehearse with a drummer on an acoustic kit and to keep from
becoming way too loud we mutually agreed to only pipe vocals through the Monitors and Mains
and use backline monitoring for our guitars.

This has apparently changed since I started to use the FM3 into the FX return of a tube
amp. Coincidence?? ;)

It's his place and he has unilaterally chosen to run his rig louder through the Monitors
and Mains than his backline. I can hear the singer struggling to keep up now. No shit!

I know that the other guitar player is literally trying to "drown" out the superior tones
he is hearing from my side of the room. ;)

While it's kind of funny, it's also damn annoying because I am not gonna do the volume wars
with a guy whose insecurity is now somehow conjoined with the slider on the Mains. ;)
I used to have that problem with another band mate but I finally told he was to loud and drowning out everybody else.
Now I just look at him and he’s like I know and we both laugh but problem solved. Lol

You are spot on. He's a knowledgeable dude and gone the "digital" route as long as
we have been playing together. He's had the Helix for 5 years I think, and we talk about
"tone at home" and "tone with the band." He gets it. But I really feel like he has become
threatened somehow by me going Fractal and getting some killer tones. He's now
coming out of the Mains, 3 Monitors, and his own Backline (2 -12" FRFR speakers) and
the volume is just ridiculous for a group of guys rehearsing in a freaking garage.

I refuse to run out to the Mains or Monitors and just my amp and cab with the Fractal for
monitoring. More volume from me will not make any of this better, will it?? :)

Lol! I’m sure that’s it.🙄

Both sound good with different things.

Overdrives and distortions ate better in line 6.
So are delays.
Maybe even compressors.

Reverbs are better in fm3.

Maybe tell him that.

The two would compliment each other well.

Or quit the band and let him be happy.

If he went modeling first, five years ago, and now you buy your shiny new toy to copy him of course it’s not good.
But then here you are posting ‘your side of the story on a forum🤒. Yeah that’s gonna end well now.

Both sound good with different things.

Overdrives and distortions ate better in line 6.
So are delays.
Maybe even compressors.

Reverbs are better in fm3.

Maybe tell him that.

The two would compliment each other well.

Or quit the band and let him be happy.

If he went modeling first, five years ago, and now you buy your shiny new toy to copy him of course it’s not good.
But then here you are posting ‘your side of the story on a forum🤒. Yeah that’s gonna end well now.

Ok. Judge our decades long friendship. I am not worried. :)

We shoot straight with each other and always have. This isn't like calling into
question someone's choice in mate or spouse. Geesh! But since you know better
than me what this freindship is all about I am all ears. :)

Back
Top Bottom