True Bypass Effects Quality of FX8 Versus FM3

The FX8 "features an extremely high quality signal path to deliver ultra-low noise and pristine sound quality" (taken from the Fractal Audio website).

I had the FX8 and I found the effects quality to be pretty damn good and it really did have true bypass.

I felt it sounded better than the XL+ when I compared each effect side by side with the same settings but I decided to stay with my XL+ since the difference in sound quality was not a major difference especially when playing with the band and I prefer racking all my gear and only having one cable on the ground (the midi cable from the MFC-101 to the XL+).

It was also easy to control/mix the volume from the front of the XL+.

I am also using an external preamp but I like that I have the option of using an internal one in the XL+ (blending or separate).

I have an AXE FX III but I am not able to compare the FX8 to the III since I had sold it so I thought that I should ask here since some of you might have both and you taken the time to compare the "true bypass" of the FM3 with an FX8.

Also, I am assuming the III and the FM3 have the same sound quality for the effects as well.

I was thinking of selling my extra III and XL+/MFC-101 and getting an FM3/FC6 since the FM3 can be the effects for my external preamp plus I would have an optional internal preamp.

I would run just one midi cable to the FM3 sitting on top of my two space rack case (with external preamp and power amp).

Also, I realize the effects will be different between the FX8 and FM3 but it is the "true bypass" of the FM3 that I am curious about here (the FX8 had a pristine sound quality).

I am hoping for feedback based upon actually comparing them and not just from memory.

Thanks ahead of time for any feedback based upon personal experience!!

The FM3 doesn’t have “true bypass.” That feature is exclusive to the FX8.

But you’ll notice a cool thing with your FX8: there is no audible difference between True Bypass and just bypassing all the blocks in the grid. The signal processing is that good. And the FM3 is that good, too.

One of the things that I liked the best about the FX8 was that I could hear my external preamp "cleanly" passing through it with no tone coloration and no "tone suck" at all.

I was really amazed at the clarity of the FX8 which is why I was asking about the FM3 with an external amp/preamp.

I was really amazed at the clarity of the FX8 which is why I was asking about the FM3 with an external amp/preamp.

The clarity really is amazing, which is why I wrote...
...you’ll notice a cool thing with your FX8: there is no audible difference between True Bypass and just bypassing all the blocks in the grid. The signal processing is that good. And the FM3 is that good, too.

:)

Back
Top Bottom