Tru Oil on the Les Paul Neck

Thanks! When it is fully dry I'll go over it with 0000 steel wool and see how I like it. I may do 3 more light coats. I may let it be and go with a coat of gun stock wax.

Thanks! When it is fully dry I'll go over it with 0000 steel wool and see how I like it. I may do 3 more light coats. I may let it be and go with a coat of gun stock wax.
Cool. 0000 steel wool is a good choice. I once learned the hard way to keep steel wool away from the pickups - lots of TINY metal bits stuck to the pickups. Duh. ;-]

I hand scraped the nitro clear off my Strats neck and fingerboard and tru-oiled it because Fender did their stupid nitro over the frets thing. It’s now so smooth and ’warm’ feeling compared to grabby and plastic feeling with the nitrocellulos.

I hand scraped the nitro clear off my Strats neck and fingerboard and tru-oiled it because Fender did their stupid nitro over the frets thing. It’s now so smooth and ’warm’ feeling compared to grabby and plastic feeling with the nitrocellulos.
I hate that, too - finish over the frets. Of course, it wears off quickly, but doesn't look right to me. I like to mask-off the fretboard and go over the frets with micromesh.

Cool. 0000 steel wool is a good choice. I once learned the hard way to keep steel wool away from the pickups - lots of TINY metal bits stuck to the pickups. Duh. ;-]
Yeah, I much prefer 3M ScotchBrite pads instead. They are available in different colors/grades of coarseness. The grey ones are something like 800 grit and the white ones are something like 1000 grit. They work really well.

Yeah, I much prefer 3M ScotchBrite pads instead. They are available in different colors/grades of coarseness. The grey ones are something like 800 grit and the white ones are something like 1000 grit. They work really well.
I use the maroon ones for deglossing necks.

Aye, it is! 👍 Those are BKP 550K pots for the Schecter project. It will be getting a Schecter Brimstone Bridge Pickup.

No pickups in the guitar as of yet. Even so, I'll probably place the body of the guitar in a garbage bag while I steel wool the neck.

My favorite neck finish 👍
Micromesh is great stuff too. I use that instead of steel wool.... I also use it to polish frets.

Back
Top Bottom