TRS expression pedal into FC-6 Pedal 1?

Enzee

Hi guys,

Quick question that I can't seem to figure out if you don't mind:

I have an expression pedal plugged into the FC-6 via Pedal 1 jack on the back of the FC. It is a single TRS plug into Pedal 1.

My issue is that I cannot find what the input into the III the toe switch is.

I easily found that the actual pedal throw is FC 1, Pedal 1, but I can't find what the toe switch is coming into the III so I can assign it to the bypass on my wah block.

(When I calibrate in settings>FC Controllers for Pedal 1 I see the pedal, but when I look at any other parameters searching for the toe switch nothing is moving)

Any thoughts as to where I should be looking? Thanks so much in advance!

Why do you think there is a toe switch? What expression pedal are you using and how have you connected it up?

Well, there is a toe switch on the pedal (see attached photo). TRS in as explained.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 12.52.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 12.52.45 PM.png
    602.5 KB · Views: 19
The toe switch needs an additional TRS cable. But without a FC pedal I’m not sure where to plug it in- might be pedal 2 on the back of the Ax fxIII.

That's interesting as I used this configuration with no problem on my AX8. One TRS cable right into the pedal jack. BTW, I DO have an FC-6 in this equation.

That's interesting as I used this configuration with no problem on my AX8. One TRS cable right into the pedal jack. BTW, I DO have an FC-6 in this equation.
Pretty sure it’s physically impossible for one TRS cable to have worked for both the switch and the pedal in one pedal jack on the AX8.

Tell us the model and brand of the pedal so we can stop guessing.

I think the pedal is a combined wah/volume/exp so the switch might cut the exp signal and allow auto switching via position, but it doesn’t send a switch message into the FC.

I don't want to hihjack this thread with what works on the AX8, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Hotone Soul Press with a TRS out of the expression pedal into the pedal jack of the AX8 has worked for me as a wah through many tours around the world. The pedal itself as well as the toe switch to turn it on and off. Just the first photo I could find of it on stage. IMG_1184.jpg

Here's a shot of two pedals working, one as a wah and one as a drive adjuster for my amp block. One TRS cable for each.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
It “works” because the TRS cable is for the pedal travel. As mentioned earlier, the switch is probably turning the pedal “off” and not communicating with the Axe at all. It’s physically impossible for the axe to get that switch data over the same TRS.

I understand now. It "feels" like the toe switch is bypassing something but all it is doing is shutting the pedal itself off to the Axe. Great. I wonder if I get a "Y" cable and then go into Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 if it will read the toe switch as a modifier. I guess it depends on how the pedal is physically wired internally. In any case, thanks so much!

Disabling expression function with the switch probably causes the pedal input to be read as minimum value. If that's the case, setting the minimum value/volume knob on the pedal high enough would let the switch control bypass state via auto-engage or bypass modifier.

A "Y" cable isn't going to help with this.

Calibrate the pedal with the min. vol. wheel/knob at minimum, then watch the wah modifier dot and increase the knob until you see some movement when the switch is pressed while keeping pedal at full toe-up position.

A bypass modifier will bypass slightly quicker since even "fast" autoengage types have a small delay before switching off.

Got it. Thanks a million. Going to mod the Soul Press where the input jack will be wired to the toe switch and converted into the 2nd output and then it will have two outputs and function like a standard expression with the toe switch being sent normally. Appreciate all the help and thanks for all the help!

You realize you can use an auto-engaged Wah, right?

You don't need a switch... Set your modifier to engage at 95%.

Yeah! I have a Mission SP-1 that I bought when I got the original Axe-Fx II. I found the Auto Engage to work so well I never have used the switch.

Danny W.

I've used one of these Hotones as an expression pedal.

The toe switch does not work when you're using it as an expression pedal, if you want to use the pedal to turn the wah on and off you use the normal auto engage setting on the Fractal.

Frankly the toe switch is annoying because (from memory) if you trigger it - it basically turns the expression pedal off and on, so all of a sudden the pedal will appear to stop working

Back
Top Bottom