TRS Cable to EMG Active Pickups

I'm fully prepared to be called a dumb ass here on this one, but here goes......

Working on my setup with my AX8 I've come across a weird problem. 2 of my guitars have SD Passive pickups in them and they work great. TRS cable from guitar, to EV1 Expression Pedal for Volume control, and then into the Instrument input on the AX8.

Same exact set up with 2 of my guitars that have EMG Active pickups in them and the guitar input decreases by about 95%.

Yes I changed batteries in these guitars, and yes these guitars work perfectly through a regular TS cable and my other true amp/cab set up.

While I am still in the beginning stages of learning this AX8 I am starting to think the TRS cable is only for the input to the AX8. Does anyone wanna throw a technical explanation at me as to why the TRS side doesn't work with my Active pickup guitars?

I'm going to throw a regular TS cable into the mix today and hopefully fix it, but it was just a situation I found interesting and frustrating.... :)

EMG and other brands of active pickups use a TRS jack as a switch. When you insert a cable, the Ring shorts to ground(sleeve) to complete the circuit for the active pickups power supply.
You should connect the EV1 to one of the AX8 expression pedal jacks and plug your guitar into the input jack with a regular TS cable.

Last edited:
I have kind of the same issue, but not quite. I have EMG's in all my guitars, but am using a regular TS cable from the wireless output to the AX8 input, and it seems like I have very little output from the AX8..

Now I just got the AX8 yesterday, so I am a complete newb, but I have to crank the output on my mixer to even hear the output from the AX8..

Anyone..?

Am I just a dumbass? Probably, I am sure..! But maybe one of you expert Pro types recognizes what is going on here maybe?

I have kind of the same issue, but not quite. I have EMG's in all my guitars, but am using a regular TS cable from the wireless output to the AX8 input, and it seems like I have very little output from the AX8..

Now I just got the AX8 yesterday, so I am a complete newb, but I have to crank the output on my mixer to even hear the output from the AX8..

Anyone..?

Am I just a dumbass? Probably, I am sure..! But maybe one of you expert Pro types recognizes what is going on here maybe?
The AX8 is very loud. How high is your Output knob on the AX8?

uh...output knob?

hahahah just kidding, I am not that dumb! It is at about 3/4 volume, but I am thinking there is something in the patch that is turned down for some reason.

It is the only patch I had a chance to import and try, as the unit I got was used, and the gentleman left a bunch of patches on there for me, but I want to back up the unit and then flash it back to factory and then add all the extra patches back in and audition them one at a time.

I am thinking there is something in the patch that is turned down for some reason.

It is the only patch I had a chance to import and try, as the unit I got was used, and the gentleman left a bunch of patches on there for me,
Have you tried a factory preset by chance?

I will tonight when I get home..

I hate to say it, but I am not sure what presets on there are actually "factory".. :)

I will investigate more fully when I get home tonight and see if I can solve the mystery!

I will tonight when I get home..

I hate to say it, but I am not sure what presets on there are actually "factory".. :)

I will investigate more fully when I get home tonight and see if I can solve the mystery!
Any preset on the device when you first get it is factory. Any preset you load on yourself is not factory .

Thanks again for the knowledge guys. I ran through some regular cables, dialed up my Stef from Deftones presets and got my 8 string sounding GOOOOOOOOOD.

Getting a little bit of output clipping but I'll adjust somethings and see if I can eliminate that. The tone is pretty stellar. Now I have to work on other patches to get the same output levels.

I play in a Deftones tribute band and we have a show coming up this Saturday. Each album has a pretty distinct tone, at least the earlier ones. Wanna make sure I dial them all up right.

Much thanks, a newb to this really appreciates it.

Ok, so that Leon Todd patch I downloaded is the issue..it has literally 1/10th the volume of any other patch I tried.

I imported it again, and same thing..

I will have to familiarize myself with all the menus to try and find the hidden component, but I am going to pm him and just ask, as he is an amazingly nice man with a LOT of patience!

I am not sure what I did wrong, but it is probably user error on my part..

The patch is that 80's one, and to me is PERFECTION..! Now if I can just get the levels up to all the other patches!! :)

Thank you all very much for being so willing to help my newbie dumbass self!! :)

It is much appreciated!

Ok, so that Leon Todd patch I downloaded is the issue..it has literally 1/10th the volume of any other patch I tried.

I imported it again, and same thing..

I will have to familiarize myself with all the menus to try and find the hidden component, but I am going to pm him and just ask, as he is an amazingly nice man with a LOT of patience!

I am not sure what I did wrong, but it is probably user error on my part..

The patch is that 80's one, and to me is PERFECTION..! Now if I can just get the levels up to all the other patches!! :)

Thank you all very much for being so willing to help my newbie dumbass self!! :)

It is much appreciated!
increase the Level parameter in the amp block. use the VU meter page.

I will find that and make adjustments as soon as I get a chance tonight after work.

Thank you very much sir!

Working on my setup with my AX8 I've come across a weird problem. 2 of my guitars have SD Passive pickups in them and they work great. TRS cable from guitar, to EV1 Expression Pedal for Volume control, and then into the Instrument input on the AX8.
Why TRS? Guitars use guitar cords. :)

Back
Top Bottom