Troubleshooting phase issue when using an FXLoop

fuzzyoctaves

Inspired
I am stuck and could really use more help as I try to get my patch template working right.

If I mix Row3 and Row4 in the patch below, it has a strong out of phase sound and the volume is reduced. Row3 or Row4 at 100% is good. I have tried to invert the phase in the global settings for output 4 and it doesn't make any change regardless of the mix. I don't have this same issue with In/Out3.

Some notes on my setup:
  • I am using only left side cabling for both out/in3 and out/in4 as the effects are all being run in mono.
  • If I set the balance on Out4 to -100, Row3 (not 4!!) exhibits a volume drop. The phase issue at 50%/50% persists.
  • Loops 3 and 4 are actually going through the same device (HXFX), but I have tested this with a straight cable plugged into out4 and in4, so it is isolated to the AxeFx.

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 6.05.29 PM.png

Going from out 4 to in 4 directly with a cable involves a set of digital to analog and analog to digital conversion which is going to introduce a slight amount of latency and mess with the phase.

If you're using the HX for time based fx;
Place out 4 in a parallel row and don't connect it's output to the main grid. Run the HX 100% wet.

If you're using the HX for drives/cabs/filters then connect it in series. Disable the send block on the grid in this case.

Thanks for the help Leon!

Going from out 4 to in 4 directly with a cable involves a set of digital to analog and analog to digital conversion which is going to introduce a slight amount of latency and mess with the phase.
This makes sense. What's strange is that it doesn't happen with Out/In3.

If you're using the HX for time based fx;
Place out 4 in a parallel row and don't connect it's output to the main grid. Run the HX 100% wet.

If you're using the HX for drives/cabs/filters then connect it in series. Disable the send block on the grid in this case.

I'm actually using the HXFX for both:

Loop1: AxeOut3 > Freq Out pedal > HXFX loop1 Return > HXFX send1 > AxeIn3 (I use HXFX drives in this one)
Loop2: AxeOut4 > HXFX Left In > HXFX Left Out > MXR Carbon Copy > AxeIn4 (I use HXFX time based effects for this one)

My plan with Loop2 is to be able to fade it in/out - for example the awesome self-oscillation on the Carbon Copy.

I keep trying to break guitar rig standards doing things that theoretically can be possible with the AxeFx, but don't work right in practice :(

Back
Top Bottom