Troubleshooting help needed

Mike Snider

Experienced
Ok- gotten myself a bug I don't know how to fix.
What happened- I updated to most recent firmware, installed mfc-edit. I have been unable to get a clean usable dump from mfc, mfc-edit is recording incorrect file size.
I have tried every possible troubleshooting idea I could think of: reinstalling firmware & software, factory restoring mfc, change midi interface, multiple configuration scenarios- I have simply not been able to resolve that issue.

So, i decided to forgo the editor and reprogram the unit by tapping in the configuration directly on the mfc. I am using a very simple config- AxeFX II mode, preset mode, bank size 0, and have reassigned IA's as desired ( so i end up with a large pedalboard). note- I was intending to use the editor to build different setups, i've had this particular setup for years.
My main acoustic patch -which on my axefx is 000, seems not to respond to the mfc at this point. as far as I can tell it is limited to this one patch. The MFC is switching to the patch, loading IA's as expected however the IA's are not working...including tuner and tempo which i did not change from factory setting.
I can bypass the effects manually on the axefx and the mfc will update the IA state- i seem to have lost bidirectional communication on this particular patch. I copied the patch on the axfx to a new location and the issue followed- so it seems to be in the config of the patch on the axefx. I tried clearing the original preset location on the axefx and rebuild it...same issue.
I tried coping a known good preset location on the mfc and copied to the troubled preset location, same result.
I tried loading an old backup, the problem still exist although I never had the issue when the backup was created.

I am really lost- I don't know where the issue is. I have reloaded firmware on both units multiple times, tried as many reconfig's as I can think of and simply can't resolve the issue. I've had to gig around all of this and I'm really struggling- I have now logged many hours into troubleshooting and need to reach out for help. I appreciate any help someone can provide.
I appreciate any

EDIT->MIDI->{correct setting: FASLINK | EXPANSION | MIDI} ?
Press the REVEAL switch ?

Last edited:
How are you connecting the MFC to the Axe?

There are at least 3 different posts within the last hour of MFC's not working correctly.

For the updating issue and connecting to mfc edit I have been trying computer> roland um one> mfc 101. I tried going thru the axefx, but had not luck there either, swapped out midi cables ect. . I have had the I/O midi setting correct in both scenarios- mfc ports correct in both scenarios. At one point while going thru the axefx i could not even get a file that was recognized as a fractal product (verified by support).
I have used fractal bot, and mfc edit. it may be time to try another librarian.

I am starting to have a break thru with a particular patch going ary as mentioned in a previous post- I am isolating in on an axe patch which has a volume block with a FA EV-1 as the controller. I began deleting blocks in the patch until the mfc started responding correctly. when i deleted the volume block the mfc began responding as expected.
still digging in here, not sure what is happening exactly but the error in this patch may be cause of some other issues.

How are you connecting normally though, not when updating?

You also said "MFC ports correct in both scenarios." What scenarios are you talking about? What ports did you set?

Fractal-Bot is solid. It usually comes down to cables. I want to believe you when you say "all settings are correct," but without you telling us what those settings were, it will be an unknown variable until someone else can confirm it is correct.

normally axefx> cat 5 >mcf
updating- first scenario
computer>axefx as interface>mfc; set realtime syex and usb adapter to none & off; mfc port to midi. tried 3 different midi cables using fractal bot and mfc edit. I can get a transfer but the file size is invalid
2nd scenario
computer>roland um one>mfc settings as above. same librarians as above. file size increased but still not valid.

I will let you know if the error I am finding in the patch is causing the transfer to be invalid.

Try the SLOW DUMP option instead of just the DUMP option in the MFC-101. And use the Roland UM-ONE interface. And connect ONLY ONE CABLE AT A TIME from the MFC-101 MIDI OUT to the computer. In other words, don't plug in both MIDI ends of the Roland UM-ONE at the same time. It helps when debugging.

Does the axe and MFC function as expected with a midi cable from MFC MIDI out to Axe midi in? (Set to MIDI in MFC of course)?

I've been emailing with them for almost a week but I can't get any good dump files out of the unit to look at.
Going old school tonight, just guitar and one preset. can't trust the mfc anymore, it has frozen on me 3 times since updating to 3.07 and I've lost control of some of my presets.

I rebuilt the axefx and mfc from the ground up today with new system parameters, firmware, cables ect and still have the issue.
bummer for sure, but nothing else I can do at this point.

Quick note of thanks to Gary for his help in getting me back up and running....
I had a bunch of gremlins, but once Gary was able to help me with the mfc issues, the other problems quickly resolved. Sunday night after hours......that is dedication! Thanks again Gary!

Can you describe a bit of what fixed it? There are many with similar issues recently. Thanks.

Can you describe a bit of what fixed it? There are many with similar issues recently. Thanks.

Chris, i hope Gary can chime in and provide proper information, my technical language is poor at best. There is a bug in the way 3.07 interacts with MFC Mark 1 and 2's. I can't speak for him- but I'm sure he will be posting soon.

Back
Top Bottom