(Troubleshooting) Axe-Fx 3 as Audio Interface randomly fails

I had similar issues on Windows 10. Not so frequently, though.

It always happened if I powered the Axe-FX while the laptop was playing audio. Then I had to restart the Axe-FX with no sound from the laptop

Random problems are gone since I bought a high-quality USB cable that included ferrite beans at each extreme
20210607_142605.jpg

The issue of no sound if I powered the Axe-FX while playing audio is gone with the latest USB firmware 1.10

Last edited:
I also want to share my experience, I had similar problem with losing only audio signal from Axe FX III as a sound device. It happens to be a problem with electrical network and device/s, my suspicion is Air conditioners. And inevitably i had to use an AC conditioner. Since then this problem has gone. Maybe it will help someone else. Special thanks to user @Reaper for his advice.

Last edited:
Same here. Sudden audio dropout on my 2018 MacBook Pro.
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
What I've been able to rule out:
  • USB hub (Axe FX directly connected to Mac = same problem)
  • Sleep/battery settings. Complete audio dropout really occurs randomly in time.
Workaround = Axe FX3 off + wait a while + back on again. No need for a computer reboot.
A real solution for me now seems to be: use my RME Fireface-800 interface in my rack again. ;-(

I've been having the same issue on my mac mini...it randomly stops workig as an audio interface.I have both of them connected to a furman power conditioner. It happens everytime my mac goes to sleep and sometimes (not very often) at random...I can still hear my guitar but no audio from the computer which makes me think might be more of a usb cable or software issue. Even tho I don't use a cheapo usb cable ill try to change it to a good quality one...any suggestion on a good brand?

I am using Win 11 x64 and recently started using FXIII to playback audio from laptop. The left channel will randomly drop out after a few mins and I can usually get it back by removing the USB from laptop and reinstalling it. Not sure yet what that is all about, if it is similar to above issues and/or if I will use that setup enough to worry about it since I can use the laptop speakers or headphones for my purposes just fine.
Just thought I would chime in and follow this thread.

I am using Win 11 x64 and recently started using FXIII to playback audio from laptop. The left channel will randomly drop out after a few mins and I can usually get it back by removing the USB from laptop and reinstalling it. Not sure yet what that is all about, if it is similar to above issues and/or if I will use that setup enough to worry about it since I can use the laptop speakers or headphones for my purposes just fine.
Just thought I would chime in and follow this thread.
I'm using Win 10 but the exact same thing happens to me too! Only audio from the PC drops out and only the left channel. I figured it might be the cable and was going to replace it until I saw your post. It recovers if disconnectng and reconnecting it.

Have the same issue. Has returned after a period were playback went on without a hitch and I thought I had the problem solved by powering everything via a powerconditioner. Sometimes only left fails sometimes both left and right. Disconnecting usb and reconnecting while playback active (!)* restores playback. Win10 here too. Maybe I overlooked a ground loop; laptop charger is only device not connected to the powerconditioner - must try out if that helps.
* otherwise it won’t work

Same issue. Doesn't matter if I'm using my 2019 MacBook Pro or my 2022 Mac Studio. Although, I don't have to mess with cables to fix it. I just reboot the Axe. Sometimes it holds up for hours. Today it's doing it every 5 minutes it seems so I got on here hoping to find fix before I go buy an apolo that I can't afford.

I just updated the USB firmware. Didn’t touch any cables or cords. The problem is now more frequent and it now makes weird noises along with the frequent cutouts.

Also note that this started a few months ago and was very subtle. I could play through it. It has gradually got worse over the last couple months to the point of annoying. Now it has reached the point of no longer being usable as an interface.

I had similar issues on Windows 10. Not so frequently, though.

It always happened if I powered the Axe-FX while the laptop was playing audio. Then I had to restart the Axe-FX with no sound from the laptop

Random problems are gone since I bought a high-quality USB cable that included ferrite beans at each extreme
View attachment 84491

The issue of no sound if I powered the Axe-FX while playing audio is gone with the latest USB firmware 1.10
Would you mind sharing a link to these?

I had similar problems. After a few days it struck me I used a different cable after having re-arranged my gear. Switched to the cable I used before…one with that ferrite ring thing around the cable at one end. Everything ok again. I have no idea if it was the cable itself or the ring who fixed it, but worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom