(Troubleshooting) Axe-Fx 3 as Audio Interface randomly fails

I had similar problems. After a few days it struck me I used a different cable after having re-arranged my gear. Switched to the cable I used before…one with that ferrite ring thing around the cable at one end. Everything ok again. I have no idea if it was the cable itself or the ring who fixed it, but worth a try.
How did you get on with the new cable, mate?
Would be interested in buying a couple of these if it's worth a shot.
No problems at all since switching the usb cable. Hard to believe such a simple fix took so long to figure out.

Same problem. Mine does it sometimes randomly but always when I switch on the overhead fan in my room, everything is plugged into a power "conditioner"... more like an overpriced surge protector. Any solutions? Trying a new cable might work...

Last edited:
Same problem. Mine does it sometimes randomly but always when I switch on the overhead fan in my room, everything is plugged into a power "conditioner"... more like an overpriced surge protector. Any solutions? Trying a new cable might work...

Trying a new cable might work

I have been dealing with this as well although I have not had a problem in about 3 weeks now (here comes the lightning). First started using Axe FXIII MkII Turbo as interface about 4-5 months ago. After about 2 months, I started having issues AFTER a windows 10 forced update. It seems that the forced update changed many of my setting including the USB power shut off stuff. Point is, even though you have set the computer to NOT go to sleep on USB devices, an update may have changed that setting. Not sure what to say on the fruit products, I don't touch 'em!

I was having the same drop out problems a lot for a long time and I just realized on seeing this that I don't recall it happening once since I switched to a 30' active USB cable around the end of 2022. I had bought it to try with something else but was really tired of the drop out issues when they were at their peak so just hooked it up and forgot about it. It may have happened once or twice but I don't think I've had any drop outs since then. Just for kicks, here's the cable I bought: Amazon product ASIN B0B137WZQJI had tracked some of my issues down to interference with the power or the cable from a fan and some other things on the same circuit but they are gone now with the cable the only change to my setup.

I’ve been using a baby face pro fs with the axe 3 in the spdif in and out through spdif to toslink converters.

I would lose the axe audio often. Sometimes I could trace it to the sump pump turning on or some other other voltage event.

Recently I removed the baby face to remotely record some acoustic guitars. Since I did, the axe hasn’t lost signal once. It’s been a couple weeks. Not sure if it was only losing signal through spdif? Anyways, wanted to mention that.

I want the baby face back though 😂

I was having the same drop out problems a lot for a long time and I just realized on seeing this that I don't recall it happening once since I switched to a 30' active USB cable around the end of 2022. I had bought it to try with something else but was really tired of the drop out issues when they were at their peak so just hooked it up and forgot about it. It may have happened once or twice but I don't think I've had any drop outs since then. Just for kicks, here's the cable I bought: Amazon product ASIN B0B137WZQJI had tracked some of my issues down to interference with the power or the cable from a fan and some other things on the same circuit but they are gone now with the cable the only change to my setup.
I too use this active USB cable to connect my Axe Fx III to my iMac. The two are approximately 25’ apart. I have experienced no issues when using this cable at the extended distance necessary in our studio.

I too use this active USB cable to connect my Axe Fx III to my iMac. The two are approximately 25’ apart. I have experienced no issues when using this cable at the extended distance necessary in our studio.
after double checking the USB firmware version and some windows options suggested in several posts, today I just received an USB active cable, but the USB audio keeps failing, that's weird, because I can still recording and using axe edit with no issues, its just the USB audio that fails.

after double checking the USB firmware version and some windows options suggested in several posts, today I just received an USB active cable, but the USB audio keeps failing, that's weird, because I can still recording and using axe edit with no issues, its just the USB audio that fails.
I’m sorry to hear you are still having USB audio issues. I still don’t experience any USB issues of any kind.

Back
Top Bottom