Troubles with auto-engage on wah, what am I doing wrong?

GaryB

Inspired
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Would someone mind taking a look at this sample patch for me? I'm getting some inconsistency on the wah. The auto-engage function is working fine, but the wah is staying engaged when I switch patches. If I load this patch into two different preset locations, and switch between the preset locations, all is well...Until I actually use the wah. If I use the wah and return the pedal to the heel position, the wah disengages as expected, but then when I switch to the same patch in another preset location (or recall this same patch in the same preset location), the wah is still engaged. I've tried using both the position and speed for triggering the auto-engage on the wah, and I've also tried the PC Reset option on the wah modifier both on and off. I'm on firmware 9.03, and expression pedal I'm using is a Roland EV-5, and is calibrated. I get this behavior both when switching patches from the MFC, or if I switch patches from within Axe-Edit. Help?

Attachments

• Clean Phase.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
I'm interested to see if you find the root cause because I have the exact same issue and I'm using the Roland EV-5.
I couldn't figure it out so I stopped using the auto-engage.

I don't think it's the EV-5. I didn't mention this in my original post, but I get the same result using a Fractal EV-2. I've had my Axe since October, but due to my heavy work and gig schedule, I've only had maybe 8-10 hours of play time with it, so I'm still cutting my teeth and learning. It's an awesome little box!

I’m not sure how auto engage is supposed to behave if it is active when switching presets. I believe there is a scene revert setting you might look into though. One problem I’ve had is autoengage either not turning on, turning on at random by itself, or not turning off. I believe the culprit was a bad cable, either the trs or the faslink. I’ve not had a problem since I changed both.

With your controller pedal in the wah off position, go to the modifier screen and make sure that PC Reset is ON. Make sure the wah is bypassed and save the preset. That should do it.

That's what I was doing, but I just double checked to be positive. Here's a screenshot of the modifier settings. It's really strange. When I first load the preset, it loads without the wah engaged like it should. I can bounce between presets with no problem, until I use the wah. Once I use the wah, if the next preset I load has a wah with auto engage in the patch, the patch loads with the wah engaged. If I turn the auto engage off, then the patch loads properly. So for instance, if I load the patch I posted when I started this thread into preset locations 43 and 44 (same patch, two locations), I select 43, it loads fine. I play a little, not using the wah, switch to patch 44, all is well. I play patch 44, use the wah then go back to 43, and 43 loads with the wah engaged. It only does it for the next selected patch though. If the patch loads with the wah engaged and I go to a different patch without using the wah, the next patch loads fine. Or if I just do it with one patch...I load 44, loads fine. I play using the wah, recall 44, it recalls with the wah engaged. If I recall 44 again, it loads without the wah engaged. Sorry for the long description, but I want to make sure I describe this as best I can.

By the way, just for the heck of it, I re-loaded the 9.03 firmware just to make sure there wasn't a hiccup in that department. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Modifier Settings.JPG
    Modifier Settings.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 31
By the way, I swapped out mic cables between the MFC and Axe just to rule out a bad cable. Also, a minor correction to my last post as I'm troubleshooting and trying different things...When I first power the Axe up, the preset loads with the wah engaged. If I recall the preset, it then loads without the wah engaged. If I power the Axe down, disconnect the MFC, and fire the Axe backup without the MFC connected, the same patch loads without the wah engaged. I've been troubleshooting the Axe, but now I'm wondering if my problem might be with the MFC?

Make sure the Wah block is stored as bypassed in every preset.

What is the pedal's beginning value on the MFC? Check the global setting as well as whether there's a non-global value on any of these presets. See MFC manual sections 7.2 and 12.1.9 for details.

It sounds like the MFC may be sending a beginning value of 127. It's also possible some other setting (different XP, XS, IA, internal CC) is causing this value to be sent.

Yes...But that shouldn't matter if the PC reset is on, correct?

It shouldn't, unless the MFC is sending an updated CC message after the preset has initialized. Depends on the timing of the messages. Like Bakerman said, check the beginning value in the MFC. If it's set to Pedal, it could be sending a value that triggers auto-engage if it's not at the "off" position when changing presets.

If it's set to Pedal, it could be sending a value that triggers auto-engage if it's not at the "off" position when changing presets.

BegVal = Pedal shouldn't be a problem if the pedal range is 0-127 on both presets. Resending the last value for an Ext Ctrl doesn't actually do anything and wouldn't cause this.

From the details so far I think it's going to either be a specific (numeric) BegVal for this pedal, or some other MFC item set to the same CC#.

Have had same issues. Simply go to each scene in the preset, make sure the wah block is turned off (greyed out if you're using axe edit), save and boom. Wah will now be off, when you switch between scenes.

Bakerman and Mr. Fender....You hit the nail on the head. The beginning value for that expression pedal in the MFC was set to PDL. I set it to "off" and BINGO. Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help.

BBN - Maybe that's your fix too? MFC manual, section 7.2.

Bakerman and Mr. Fender....You hit the nail on the head. The beginning value for that expression pedal in the MFC was set to PDL. I set it to "off" and BINGO. Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help.

BBN - Maybe that's your fix too? MFC manual, section 7.2.

Awesome. Will check this when I get home.
Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom