Trouble with acoustic volume levels without an amp model

Axeman

Experienced
I could be missing something very simple, but I can't get my Taylor to work with the Axe II. I can't find my old post, but I previously asked if I need an amp model (which I don't want to do as I don't want to change the tone) and someone said you don't have to use one. But if I don't use an amp model, I can't get any volume and can't hear anything. I don't use a real amp or power amp. I put in a filter block and turned the level way up 15+ db and it didn't do enough. How can I use an acoustic with the Axe II for direct recording if I can't hear the signal come through? I want to just add some reverb and record direct.

When I go direct into my interface through the TRS input it works great but I have to turn the gain knob up to around 30 on the interface's software. Got great tone through headphones and powered speakers. I could just record direct this way, but then I have no effects. I prefer to run the guitar through the Axe first. I'll try boosting the digital input into the interface (coming from the Axe). But I would like to use just guitar and Axe II. What's the best way to boost the gain for an acoustic and just effects? I guess the acoustic just has a lower input signal than an electric (makes sense) but then I need an FRFR amp model in the Axe to boost the signal so I can hear it, no?

Also, the input level on the Axe II is not hitting yellow with the acoustic. I had to turn the A/D input level knob all the way to 100% to get any yellow at all. Is this an issue?

M

Acoustic guitars generally have more output than an electric guitar if they have Active pickups/preamp. What kind of pickup is on your guitar? Is there a volume control on the guitar?

If you have the Axe input level at 100% and your guitar volume all the way up, and it's barely lighting up the input meters, then it is a very weak signal and you'll have to boost it in the layout somehow.

The filter block is a good method, but why not use an amp block set to Tube Preamp? Keep the Drive setting relatively low so it won't distort and you'll have access to tons of volume, an 8 band EQ and more with just that one block. No cab needed either.

The filter block is a good method, but why not use an amp block set to Tube Preamp? Keep the Drive setting relatively low so it won't distort and you'll have access to tons of volume, an 8 band EQ and more with just that one block. No cab needed either.
The filter block method is good for flat response.

The Tube Pre method is good if you feel you need tubiness.

And the number one reason for weak levels on acoustic guitars: check your battery. :)

Back
Top Bottom