Trouble controlling volume block

Xrocker

Fractal Fanatic
Can’t seem to figure this one out.
On my AxeFx2 I had my computer controlling the volume by sending CC11 and a value. I also had an expression pedal doing the same.

The computer would set the level but I could step on the pedal to over ride it if needed.

can’t seem to get this working on the 3. I’ve got pedal set up through FC1. I can get the computer to control volume by editing the volume/pan modifier by adding source 2.

problem is that whatever source 2 level is becomes the minimum for the expression pedal. It will go up, but not down.

what am I doing wrong?

It depends on how you have it set to combine the two source controller values. This is the Operation parameter.

Src 1 + Src 2 adds them together, Src 1 - Src 2 subtracts them, and Src 1 X Src 2 multiplies them.

Each has their advantages and limitations. Addition can always make the total larger than Src 1, but never smaller. Subtraction can make the total smaller than Src 1 but never larger. Multiplication can make the total smaller than whichever source is largest, but never higher.

Last edited:
You'd have to make the pedal also send CC#11 over MIDI through something else. The dual modifier source option won't let the most recent source completely override the other in the same way as your previous Axe-FX II setup.

It would be possible to make any pedal movement auto-engage one or more blocks that stay on until something sends 0 CC value for those blocks' bypass functions. This could produce similar results to your Axe-FX II example (using mute & thru bypass and two volume blocks) but it would probably be a bit of a hassle to set up.

Is there no way to just have the expression pedal override whatever value the volume block is set to?

I really can’t use the 3 live without this feature.

Is there no way to just have the expression pedal override whatever value the volume block is set to?
Only with a MIDI controller sending the same CC for the pedal as before with the Axe-FX II. An FC6/12 is the wrong tool for this specific goal.

I think I’ve come up with a solution. Anybody has a better idea let me know.

Ive set my expression pedal to control the volume on the volume/pan block. Turned PC reset on and stored initial volume 7.

Set the computer to control modifier on level control of same block. Pc reset on and initial level set to 0dB.

Now computer adjusts level parameter to proper volumes within each song and if I need more or less I can override with expression pedal.

Back
Top Bottom