Trouble connecting FX3 to the speaker cab of my HRD3

jdarez

As the title says, I have a HRD3, a combo amp. I finally got a male to female speaker cable so I could
disconnect the amp from the speaker and connect the speaker into my AXE FX3, at output 3 (left).

I tried it and nothing came out, checked everything on axe edit and the levels seem fine. I tried it on the left channel of the other 3 outputs and nothing.
I've got a Focusrite 2i4 hooked into the AXE FX3 (at output 1), so I can monitor the input levels from my PC. I plugged the speaker cable into the back of the
2i4 and it works... though it plays very quietly.

Is it simply the case that the unplugged speaker (I dare not plug in the amp, while the speaker is connected to the AXE), from a combo amp doesn't have enough juice
to work through the AXE FX?

Thanks

You absolutely should NOT connect a speaker directly to the Axe-Fx!!

The Axe-Fx does not contain an amplifier that can drive the speaker(s). So you need a powered speaker like an active monitor, or an external amp to drive the speaker.

The Axe III manual has a setup guide from page 22-30 that shows a variety of ways to hook it up. As yek points out, directly to the speaker is not one of them!

Your HRD III has an effects loop. Connect an output from the Axe III to the return (power amp in), preferably using a humbuster cable.

Danny W.

The Axe III manual has a setup guide from page 22-30 that shows a variety of ways to hook it up. As yek points out, directly to the speaker is not one of them!

Your HRD III has an effects loop. Connect an output from the Axe III to the return (power amp in), preferably using a humbuster cable.

Danny W.

Thanks a lot, will give it a shot.

Yes. If you unplug the speaker from the amp, there is no amplification connected to the speaker.

What's more... you shouldn't power your amp on if it's speaker is disconnected from it unless you substitute the 'load' with a load box.

What's more... you shouldn't power your amp on if it's speaker is disconnected from it unless you substitute the 'load' with a load box.

Just out of curiosity, what would be the worst case scenario of plugging the AFX into an unpowered speaker? Damage, or just a weak to nonexistent signal?

Just out of curiosity, what would be the worst case scenario of plugging the AFX into an unpowered speaker? Damage, or just a weak to nonexistent signal?

No damage will be done doing this but as Yek said, the Axe is not an amplifier so you won't hear much (if anything).

However you can damage your Guitar amp by unplugging the speaker and not replacing it with any load.

Back
Top Bottom