TRIUMPH: Rock & Roll Machine

Toopy14

Axe-Master
If you get a chance to watch this documentary, I highly recommend it! I've watched it twice now. It's a great insight into another great Canadian band and it's three members, who are extremely intelligent, sincere, absolutely hilarious and very, very generous!

Always loved Triumph what a great band.
To be honest, I was only familiar with their mainstream songs, from the MTV/Much Music era, in the 80's, but after watching the documentary, I was absolutely blown away by how talented and business savvy the three of them were/are. Watching the documentary, I experienced everything from awe, to laughter and even shed some tears. I won't say anymore than that, but if you get a chance to watch it, you'll see why.

To be honest, I was only familiar with their mainstream songs, from the MTV/Much Music era, in the 80's, but after watching the documentary, I was absolutely blown away by how talented and business savvy the three of them were/are. Watching the documentary, I experienced everything from awe, to laughter and even shed some tears. I won't say anymore than that, but if you get a chance to watch it, you'll see why.
Thanks Toopy14
Those guys definitely rock I was lucky enough to see them back in the early days they definitely put on a high energy show. The wife and I were in the garage digging through the pile for the new house because we needed to find some documents and I found four boxes of vinyl. And I know there’s some triumph albums in the boxes What a great Rock band.

Did anyone notice that this doc is in MONO??????
A music doc???
Even the trailer posted here is mono.
Watched on Crave in Canada.
As someone with two ears, I'm deeply offended.

Last edited:
Loved the doc cuz it touched on how they used to cram a big light show and pyro into small venues early on which is what I remember from one of my first few concerts ever - Saw Triumph in a conference room around 76/77 with a level floor (all fold up chairs) and lowish ceiling - not even a B level act yet but they had this massive light show - Multiple all white double Marshall stacks and Pa + major pyro - no way that pyro would be allowed now in a place like that. Also remember seeing them around 1980 headlining at a hockey arena here in Ottawa - 1st time I'd experienced lazer lighting at a concert - best lazer show I've ever seen, probably because it was not set up for max eye safety as the green lazers frequently pointed directly at the audience at several times in the show which was, I guess only later revealed, to be not-so-good for the eyeballs - probably a Gil Moore mad scientist design lol!

Might as well be on CBC. :)

I watched this doc last Saturday night on CTV (I get that with my rabbit ears....really lol). Fantastic documentary about a great band and bunch of guys. I always wondered why they disappeared at their height of popularity. I saw them in the early 80's and they rocked.

Rik Emmett is a monster guitar player, and a super nice guy as well as a huge guitar nerd. I saw him do a solo show and hung around with the tech crew after it was over for a half hour or so. When I left the venue I spotted a lone guy sitting on the couch in the lobby and it was Rik. I went and introduced myself and mentioned that I had the same Vox ToneLab SE floor pedal that he was using that night (into a Fender Twin Reverb).

He immediately went full guitar-nerd on me lol....asking what amp was my favorite, if I was using it into a PA or into a tube amp, the cab sims, all sorts of stuff. You could tell he was really engaged sincerely in the conversation and I was pretty stoked that he was genuinely asking and listening to my thoughts and opinions on it.

I also remember him saying he really loved the Marshall sim in the ToneLab, and that it was the best sim at that time in his opinion.

Also saw him guest with Steve Morse at The Diamond Club in Toronto in the late 80's for a few tunes...now that was a guitar matchup from the heavens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom