Triumph Live - much kickassery

My favourite 80's rock band. Hugely underrated and hardly popular here in Germany. I was a teenager in the 80's and songs like "Magic Power", "Fight the Good Fight" or "Follow Your Heart" stick with you forever. Rik Emmett is also my favourite guitar player (together with Steve Rothery). (And of course also a great songwriter and singer!!!)

My favourite 80's rock band. Hugely underrated and hardly popular here in Germany. I was a teenager in the 80's and songs like "Magic Power", "Fight the Good Fight" or "Follow Your Heart" stick with you forever. Rik Emmett is also my favourite guitar player (together with Steve Rothery). (And of course also a great songwriter and singer!!!)
The same here (except for Rothery), also in Germany.

There was supposed to be an US Festival documentary being made, with all the concert footage. There were some great performances, Triumph killed it. I think I remember MTV airing them live or on a delay for this performance in '83. Anybody know if that documentary ever got released?

That's great stuff! Rik can sure play with seemingly zero effort, all the while singing crazy-high stuff. I saw him at a guitar clinic around 1990 and it was fantastic. "I'm young, I'm wild, and I'm free..." is such a perfectly-delivered line too...Thanks for sharing!

Wow - had not seen this in a while - brought back great memories of my buds and I, here in the great white north, drinking beer and debating which is the best power trio: Rush or Triumph. It was a proud discussion since both bands were Canadian and Toronto based. Of course Rush went on to huge success - Triumph did not fly as high but I always thought they deserved to. For a while there, they were almost equally popular up here.

Brings back memories of high school and playing in bands. I wanted to play Rik’s songs. Our drummer wanted to play Gil’s songs. It was an issue. I think it was also an issue for Triumph. Their albums always seemed a little schizophrenic with those guys sharing singing duties and their different song styles.

Brings back memories of high school and playing in bands. I wanted to play Rik’s songs. Our drummer wanted to play Gil’s songs. It was an issue. I think it was also an issue for Triumph. Their albums always seemed a little schizophrenic with those guys sharing singing duties and their different song styles.
Yep - was a big contrast between the 2 - one of the reasons I love Triumph and other multi-vocalist bands.

Forgot how much I used to like Triumph!

Rik Emmett is so good both vocally and on guitar.

Checking the lineup for that day, this performance is in stark contrast to the infamous David Lee Roth "I forgot the fucking words, man!" Van Halen set...

They were not as proggy as Rush and could be poppy at times - yes, "Rush light", but also could have a very heavy sound (check out the live albums). I saw them in the late 70s / early 80s multiple times at wide ranging venues from smaller room to arena here in Ottawa. They had an unbelievable stage show for the times (I think this was Gil Moore's doing). The earliest show I remember (would have been around 77 - after "Rock and Roll Machine", pre "Just a Game") - it was a low ceiling'd level floor'd room like you would go to for a conference meeting. The stage was all white with Rik having 3 white Marshall full stacks (even the heads were white) - the stage and Triumph lettering above were outlined with sequenced lightbulbs (looked like the pre-florescent 100w household bulbs - ancient by today's standards, but effective), and they made great use of strobe lights for drum / guitar solos (loved that effect - not so much seen any more) - not to mention a fair dose of pyro, all shoved into this small space - very memorable. In the larger shows that came later (ie "Progressions of Power" tour - 1980), they were one of the first bands I saw that made significant use of laser based lighting. Around that time, I was in the "Triumph is better than Rush" camp - having seen both on multiple occasions (well really it was a who's the best guitarist: Rik Emmett or Alex Lifeson discussion since I was interested mostly in guitar, while my drummer friends debated about who was the best drummer Gil Moore or Neil Peart - what there was total agreement on was that, for us, these 2 bands / 6 musicians combined were the best in the world for everything). In those days I/we really had no clue about genres: rock, heavy rock, southern rock, metal, prog... - it was all just about the bands / musicians that made the biggest impact on us - as I've gotten older, I guess I've become more of a prog head since I still listen to a lot of Rush - not much Triumph any more.

I believe Rik Emmett still tours periodically on his own and he was teaching music at one of the colleges in Toronto for quite a while not sure if he still does. Gil Moore created Metalworks studio in Toronto - not sure if that's still going but it was one of the bigger studios in Canada and there was also a MetalWorks production school.

On the vid above, listen to how little gain Rik uses a lot of the time.

A buddy of mine directed me to this vid after I posted about the 77 concert above - I was blown away seeing this since it is from the same tour we saw 42/43 years ago - instant déjavu - love the end with all the lightbulbs going - awesome!! (despite the bad video quality).

Edit: - Gotta go crank up the axefx - play me some Triumph rock n roll.

Back
Top Bottom