Triptik cleans - any sage advice?

Wildwind

Experienced
I'm looking at this as a Twin replacement. Early tweaks are gratifying, but I think it can be much better. Any advice for those who know this better than I do and am better at tweaking? I never go for squeaky clean, BTW.

Guitars are various Strats, music is P&W (wide variety of styles).

Thanks!

I would set the input gain at 9 or 10 o'clock, tone controls noon, cab maybe a 4 10 use the master to add a touch of grit. The model has much more gain than the amp so bring that input gain down to get closer. Carol triptik clean is big warm clean.
I'm looking at this as a Twin replacement. Early tweaks are gratifying, but I think it can be much better. Any advice for those who know this better than I do and am better at tweaking? I never go for squeaky clean, BTW.

Guitars are various Strats, music is P&W (wide variety of styles).

Thanks!

Thanks. I had given up on it and returned to the Twin, but will explore this more. I tried a lot of things and found it dull and lacking character next to the Twin. I did try a bunch of cabs, including several 4x12s. I'm partial to the Greenback Mix, but tried the Dumbles, Mesa, and others. Last I messed with it, it was running the 3x10 Vibroverb, same as my solo version of the Modern channel. That seems to be a happy combination for that tone.

Yes, Modern is amazing. I'm already quite addicted to it. I also played with the Classic model a bit - I plan to dig into that as well, as it was also excellent, more in your face. And I'm thinking it might make for a strong heavy crunch patch that can do double duty as a solo patch with a boost/OD. Once again, Cliff has added new toys to the toybox.

I'm using the Deluxe for cleans when I want a little more mids and the Twin for bright & spanky.

I'm really liking the Deluxe with these settings for most clean sounds:

ID: 3.00
B: 5.30
M: 5.00
T: 6.50
P: 0.75
Comp: 5%
Master: 10.00
Dynamics: 30%

No Bright, Fat, Saturation, etc.

Cab: 1 X 12 Deluxe Verb Mix (Factory 80) with no mic

Love the Carol Triptik clean channel.

I just whipped up a quick preset using this channel

Here are the details:

Five scene patch using the fabulous clean channel of the Carol Ann Triptik Amp

Scene 1 - Clean
Scene 2 - Clean with 4db boost
Scene 3 - Clean with RC Boost For Edgy sound
Scene 4 -Clean with ZenDrive
Scene 5 - Clean with Zendrive and 4 db boost

Scenes 1,2,4,5 uses 4x12 Basketweave TV
Scene 3 uses Proverb 2x12 mix

Link:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Carol Ann Triptik Clean - by LVC

enjoy and let me know what you think

Good timing guys, about to fire everything up. Thanks! I'll post again after a while - if I can stop playing long enough.

Yep, still playing.

I did come up with a clean/club clean I like, partly based on LVC's patch. Today is a heavy practice day with gigs tomorrow, so I'm working on music right now before we head to the lake mid-afternoon. More changes will no doubt be made.

For the first time, I now have a set of five patches based on a single amp, all the Triptik, all three modes. I did find the Classic and Modern aren't that distinct one from another when pushed, though the first time I tried the Classic, it seemed more in your face, a nice contrast to the super smooth, expressive Modern. I made some changes to it and created some distance. No doubt more will follow.

But back to the clean - I'm quite pleased with what I have so far. It is a bit dark, so I made changes to add some high end and sheen. We'll see how that plays out in the mix.

Yep, still playing.

I did come up with a clean/club clean I like, partly based on LVC's patch. Today is a heavy practice day with gigs tomorrow, so I'm working on music right now before we head to the lake mid-afternoon. More changes will no doubt be made.

I know what you mean. I'd like to spend some time today trying out some other people's patches, but I'm working on playing the piano parts for 10,000 Reasons using the guitar synth for tomorrow.

I'm actually glad to hear you say that the clean Trip-Tik sounds dark. That's why it didn't grab me immediately. At least I know that is normal for that amp. :)

Last edited:
LVC, I think that is a great preset. I like it; pretty much how I'd want to dial it in.

Been a while since I've been able to play and this is the kind of stuff that just makes it even more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Oh and I don't usually get all gushy and crap over the new amp models, but the Triptik has definitely jumped over a slew of amp models in about 10 seconds time.

Reactions: LVC
LVC, I think that is a great preset. I like it; pretty much how I'd want to dial it in.

Been a while since I've been able to play and this is the kind of stuff that just makes it even more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Oh and I don't usually get all gushy and crap over the new amp models, but the Triptik has definitely jumped over a slew of amp models in about 10 seconds time.

allan philips ( Carol Ann Amps) is one of the best amp builders and designers in the business. His amps are incredible.

Thanks a lot for this preset it sounds and feels fantastic!!!

Love the Carol Triptik clean channel.

I just whipped up a quick preset using this channel

Here are the details:

Five scene patch using the fabulous clean channel of the Carol Ann Triptik Amp

Scene 1 - Clean
Scene 2 - Clean with 4db boost
Scene 3 - Clean with RC Boost For Edgy sound
Scene 4 -Clean with ZenDrive
Scene 5 - Clean with Zendrive and 4 db boost

Scenes 1,2,4,5 uses 4x12 Basketweave TV
Scene 3 uses Proverb 2x12 mix

Link:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Carol Ann Triptik Clean - by LVC

enjoy and let me know what you think

Reactions: LVC
I ended up reverting to my two Twin tones for the second set (clean and light OD). We didn't practice this week due to the 4th, so I didn't try them with the band as usual. They sounded good at home, not so great in use. Part of it was me trying to stretch a set of strings one more gig, which I don't usually do.

So more exploration this week.

My home experimentation with the Trip-Tik clean is that it has a "fuller" sound than the Fender cleans. More low mids. I'm not sure if that works for me or against me in a mix. I also notice some compression in the TripTik. I can't get that real punchy clean like a Fender clean.

I also revisited the TX Lone Star setup clean last night. The fullness it has reminds me of the TT, but it still has the punch.

So many choices....

Yeah, I'm thinking the Triptik might be better suited to solo stuff or a smaller band. My band is quite large - three keyboards, a second guitar, 3-6 vocalists - lots of stuff competing for that frequency range.

But another IR was suggested, a single 12-inch. That's one I hadn't tried. The larger cabinets seem to just sound more distant. I had settled on the 3x10 VibroVerb mix (also using it for the juiced tones), but maybe there are better choices.

Like you said, so many choices and I'm just playing roulette most of the time, hoping to find more magic.

Back
Top Bottom