Triple Axe-Fx III rack (now with demo)

That is insane! What I want to know though... How does the "Lite-Brite" fit into the rig? Make sure to include a demo of that in any clips you post! :)

Wow...HippieTim. I recognize that alias from an internal corp email from years back - was it gtrtalk? Small world...

Regardless, this is very cool. I had the same conceptual idea many years ago, there's a story behind it: I was a student at GIT, had been to Berklee, so like any aspiring jazzbo I'd been working on walking bass while comping, lots of chord melody, the usual. One day Emmett Chapman came to GIT and gave a demo playing The Stick. He had a polyphonic pickup(s) that fed multiple outputs that were EQ'd and treated differently. He may have routed some to a synth output, I really can't recall the specifics, but I my mind immediately went to the possibilities of combining those playing styles with independent outputs. I was more enamored of the poly outputs than the Stick itself, cool as it was. I could imagine a killer bass tone, comping shell chords on inner strings with some kind of pad, and playing melody on upper strings with a different voice.

Those were Top Ramen Days, being a starving student in LA, so of course I could never afford to do anything like this. Now look what's possible!

Like others, I gotta hear this! Clips, please! Nice to run into you again, HippieTim, such as it is.

You are so bad ass, dude!!

Wait, where are those clips? Seriously though, I think you've created a new forum section, aside from you know, that kick ass rig thing.

Following this thread with baited breath to hear what this all sounds like.

I also am going to send the picture and description to my band mates. They think I am obsessive with tone…

I posted the picture below in a thread on another forum about the Guthrie Govan Charvel. A couple people made comments about the 3 Axe-Fx IIIs in the rack. @JiveTurkey was close when he asked if I had one for each string. This is going to be long-winded. Sorry.

I use three of them for multi-channel (hex) string processing. I've been into this sort of thing since Roland first came out with the GR synth guitars, then the spaceship MIDI guitar, VG, etc. I am currently using a couple Roland GK compatible guitars and a guitar I put Cycfi electronics in.

The standard Roland GK pickup sounds pretty wimpy compared to the Cycfi. Piezo equipped GK guitars are better than a Roland GK pickup. The GK stuff uses the somewhat finicky13-pin connector. I have a couple different breakout options for the GK guitars. Spicetone 6appeal which is a hex fuzz and also provides 6 string outputs. And I have a GKP-2 breakout box from Separate Strings in the UK.

The Cycfi pickups sound fantastic. It uses a very robust 19-pin connector into a breakout box which gives you individual string outputs (as well as other signals you want to pass from the guitar). It also has a Roland GK compatible output so you can use a VG-8, GR-55, SY-1000, etc.

I had run multi-channel guitar with the Axe-Fx III - the multi-channel feeds to stereo inputs 2, 3, and 4. It was fun but there's only really enough blocks of each type to have two full discrete paths. And the trick with multi-channel string processing is you need up to 6 of each effect you want to apply to each string. This can get expensive and/or complicated in a hurry. I looked into a whole bunch of products like the Eventide H8000/H9000, using multiple pedals, getting a bunch of older multi-effects units, etc.

I decided to give the Eventide H9000 a try. It's ridiculously expensive even when you buy the non-display unit. So it should be great. Right? Holy crap was that thing a nightmare to operate. Their software was an absolute nightmare. It took forever to get it working with Windows and it never worked with a Mac (their forum at the time confirmed all sorts of problems). Despite having USB ports, you literally could not connect the unit via USB. It only supported a network connection (they include a Wi-Fi dongle). It was hours of frustration to get this working. Once it was working, it wasn't stable. And rebooting and reconnection this thing took forever. Once it was working, it sounded glorious. Really. It sounds fantastic. But it turned out to be surprisingly inflexible in terms of signal routing and combining effects. If you're used to fairly flexible effect ordering and signal routing like you get with a Fractal, Helix, or Boss GT the H9000 was pretty limited.

I returned the H9000 and started thinking of my next move. Duh. Lightbulb moment. I already had an Axe-Fx III and getting two more was still substantially cheaper than the H9000. So I got two more Axe-Fx IIIs. And I do realize how insane this sounds as I am typing this. But it ends up being a super flexible setup with pretty much no limits that I can come up with.

The way these things are connected is pretty sweet. I use Inputs 3 and 4 on each unit for one string each. This gives me a full compliment of blocks for every single string.

The units are connected together via S/PDIF so everything stays in the digital domain:

Axe-FX A - strings 1 & 2 via inputs 3 & 4
Axe-FX B - strings 3 & 4 via inputs 3 & 4, strings 1 & 2 via S/PDIF in
Axe-FX C - strings 5 & 6 via inputs 3 & 4, strings 1, 2, 3, 4 via S/PDIF in

So Axe-FX C is the final output and a good place to apply global reverb and such.

It's hilarious amounts of fun. I will post some clips one of these days.

View attachment 107656
Amazing! You're my hero 🤩

I did something similar to process the six strings separately, but with one Axe-FX III only: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...h-and-other-blocks-for-hex-processing.163063/

I used a DIY splitter for the Roand GK. The Axe-FX III has 7 analog inputs: one for each separate string, and one for the normal pickup

1662109655872.png
This is what I did play the first time I plugged it. Bass on strings 5-6, synth on string 1, regular guitar on strings 2-3-4:
  • Strings 5 & 6 (In 4) -> Virtual Capo Pitch (-12) -> FAS Bass Amp -> Bass Cab
  • String 1 (In 2) -> 3 voices synth (+7, +12, +24) -> Plex Delay
  • Regular Pickups (In1) -> 6G4 Amp -> My clone of the Eventide H9 Crystals -> Delay and Reverb

I shared the preset here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...blocks-for-hex-processing.163063/post-1989778

And adding some guitar modeling:

Last edited:
I wouldn’t call this a crazy idea as much as I’d cal it an awesome idea. This is the kind of thing modelers should be used for, stuff not possible elsewhere. Can’t wait to hear a clip or two.
Agreed. Crazy done right. Its folks that can't pull stuff off that give "crazy" a bad name.

You're just trolling, clips or it didn't happen!

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Too cool. With separate processing for each string, you could get away with stuff like high-gain jazz. :mask:

Back
Top Bottom