Trip-Tik does the heavy stuff quite well (just guitar content)

So a lot of guys have been posting up spectacular clips of the Trip-Tik amp model with very nice classic rock, rock and roll, and solo sounds, but the amp maker himself says that the amp can do modern high gain stuff...

So I gave it a shot.

Patch goes like this:

Amp - cab - PEQ

Amp:

Drive: 6.35
Bass: 1.9
Mid: 6.04
Treb: 8.77!
Pres: 8.76!!!

Dyn Pres: 1
Master: 2.75
Thunk: 2.75

Cab: OH Beta and OH Mesa V32 stereo cab, Mesa turned down about 1.5 db
Motor Drive: 3.35

PEQ - low and hi pass and -.5 at 300 with a Q of about .991

More stuff was done EQ-wise in the DAW, as I prefer to take care of cuts for resonance there. I also slapped an instance of Slate's VTM for some depth and more saturation on the sound. I'm thinking this amp is actually a contender on the high gain stuff!

hmmm, a bit thin and weak to me, imho, lots of heavier sounds in the axe. I tried my best as well, just cant get there. HOwever a great pretty darn heavy van halen type sound and 80s hair metal should do well too.

I like how it sounded for metal rhythm, too, though the bottom end in lower tunings doesn't hold up as well as other amp sims I'm used to (Uberschall, either Diezel, etc). It's really inspiring for leads, though. I'm not much of a lead player, but when I tried out the Triptik, I ended up noodling for the better part of an hour.

Oh yeah. There's no way it beats out my FAS Modern II patch. I just thought what the hell, why not? And then I went for it. I think that in a mix with bass guitar, this sound would probably work pretty well for a heavy rock type of sound. I wouldn't try to do the metal thing with it completely though. It's like trying to use the ENGL for smooth jazz. Can you do it? Maybe. Should you do it? Probably not.

The purpose of this clip was just to show that in fact, it can actually get a pretty decent high gain sound - much like using expensive gourmet cheeses to make a pizza. Mmmm....

Back
Top Bottom