Triode Hardness?

saroehr

With the new 6.0.2 firmware I noticed in the posted release notes:

Restored Triode Hardness parameter to Amp block.

When resetting an amp, this value defaults to 0.0. To achieve the sound of 6.00 firmware, set this to 5.0. Note that all presets created prior to Version 6.02 will have this value set to 0.0. You may override this value by setting the desired value and then saving the preset.

If I understand correctly then prior to 6.0.2 that parameter was "hard coded" internally to a value of 5.0? When we reset our existing presets we would need to manually adjust it to 5.0 to correctly recreate?

What exactly is the intent of this parameter? In new presets what is the default value? 0.0?

Thanks for any clarifications!

My personal Triode Hardness varies depending on the situation... Sorry... I had to.

I have no idea what the parameter does.

Reactions: Ole
No.

It was redone for 6.01 and fixed based on Cliff's continued research. Before that it was set at 5.00 as default; I lowered it consistently until it was changed and left it stock at 6.00. It was removed completely for 6.01. Some of the higher gain guys didn't like not having it; Cliff has now added it back. Default value is 0.00. That's where I personally leave it 100% of the time now.

Just the fact that Cliff added it back, is again a proof that we have a great deal of impact here. That´s really good to know for new and old customers. Thanks !!

No.

It was redone for 6.01 and fixed based on Cliff's continued research. Before that it was set at 5.00 as default; I lowered it consistently until it was changed and left it stock at 6.00. It was removed completely for 6.01. Some of the higher gain guys didn't like not having it; Cliff has now added it back. Default value is 0.00. That's where I personally leave it 100% of the time now.

Ok, so in 6.0 it existed and was default value of 5.0. In 6.0.1 it was removed completely (as in not exposed and an internal default set to ? OR completely removed from the algorithm). For 6.0.2 it is back with a new default value of 0. I get that right I think?

What exactly was it intended to model (something about the nature/dynamics of one or more tubes I would guess)?

Thanks Scott!

Ok, so in 6.0 it existed and was default value of 5.0. In 6.0.1 it was removed completely (as in not exposed and an internal default set to ? OR completely removed from the algorithm). For 6.0.2 it is back with a new default value of 0. I get that right I think?

What exactly was it intended to model (something about the nature/dynamics of one or more tubes I would guess)?

Thanks Scott!

More or less - **as I understand it**. I'm only speaking from what I've observed. Up to V6.01 I often turned the value of that parameter down to between 3.00-4.00.

AFAIK, the Triode Hardness Parameter was something that was exposed in the advanced parameters of the amp block before V6.01, defaulting to a value of 5.00. He refined some other aspects of the modeling that impacted that specific parameter and it became superfluous with V6.01 and was removed from the advanced parameters in the amp block. *But* some folks wanted the parameter back, specifically high gain drop-tune metal players, so Cliff then added it back for V6.02, defaulting it to a value of 0.00.

That's what I know.

Play with the setting, all the way down then all the way up. If you don't hear a difference, then there is no difference. But try it for each of your tones, in case it does make a difference. If you hear it.

Otherwise I stand by my previous statement.

To me one of the most subtle parameters of the whole block. Don't know if the feeling really changed a bit or if it's just another trick of the ear, kind of a placebo. Maybe I didn't try the right sounds?

To me one of the most subtle parameters of the whole block. Don't know if the feeling really changed a bit or if it's just another trick of the ear, kind of a placebo. Maybe I didn't try the right sounds?

At some point it was no longer in the AxeFx II itself but left in the editor AxeEdit. During that time, adjusting the parameter in AxeEdit was VERY subtle :)

Richard

At some point it was no longer in the AxeFx II itself but left in the editor AxeEdit. During that time, adjusting the parameter in AxeEdit was VERY subtle :)

Richard

Funny!
But no. What you describe is even more subtle.
I tried it yesterday. On 6.02. It should have worked.
But the most it did was a little noise when I released the knob.
Only audible on the edge of tweaking :) ?

I tried it on the Plexi Treble model last night and could hear a difference. You can also feel a difference. I ended up back at zero. Turning it up stiffens up the feel a bit, and maybe adds some clarity (upper mids?). Right or wrong, I think of it as how easily the tube goes into distortion. Lower values make it distort more easily = less stiff = mushier. Higher values make it harder to distort, so it passes more pure signal before mushing into distortion = more stiff = tighter. Which is probably why the high gain guys like it; they can crank it up and keep things nice and tight. My $.02.

Yes I will agree as well. To my ears, and maybe more so to my fingers, it seems to make it "stiffer".

Now I really need that emoticon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom