Trigger control switch from MIDI CC

I've got amp drive attached to control switch 1 and correctly attached on the FC-12 as well. I'd like to be able to evoke that switch from my Morningstar mC3 as well.

I tried assigning a CC command for CS1 with the same values in the MC but it didn't work.

If I assign the amp drive to an external switch I can get the MC to work but not on the FC-12. Is it possible to get the modifier on both the FC and MC3?

You set the modifier to one or the other, not both. If you’ll be changing pedals frequently, it’s easiest to assign that modifier to an External. Then, when you change pedals, you just need to change one external, instead of every preset that's affected.

Last edited:
Hi! I also want to control Control Switches via MIDI.
I don't find it in the manual, only sending MIDI data when activating a switch.
I only want to set "Control Switch 1 on/off, ..." via MIDI, nothing special :)

Not possible...

If I assign the amp drive to an external switch I can get the MC to work but not on the FC-12. Is it possible to get the modifier on both the FC and MC3?
You’re almost there. Set the MC3 to pass MIDI Thru. So then when you hit your FC-12 CS1 switch, since you’ve assigned it a MIDI CC payload, it’s sending that CC out to the MC3 and back into the FM3 (assuming you’ve connected to both MIDI In and Out).

In this scenario, the amp drive assigned to external controller will respond to the MIDI CC whether it’s coming from CS1 or directly from the MC3.

I’m assuming MC3 has MIDI thru. The MC6 does.

This seems related to the wish for MIDI Stand In switches. It makes more sense that a remote MIDI switch would be standing in as CS1 rather than manipulating CS1, which is itself a controller.

Not possible...

Darth_Vader_Noooo_Banner.jpg

This seems related to the wish for MIDI Stand In switches. It makes more sense that a remote MIDI switch would be standing in as CS1 rather than manipulating CS1, which is itself a controller.

Sooo ... what's the alternative? I mean .. could i have Control Switches AND controller on the same functions?
If CS are not directly possible via MIDI, i need the option to control those functions through MIDI - and - have the possibility to control everything with my FM3 directly (footswitches)

Reactions: JTI
Sooo ... what's the alternative? I mean .. could i have Control Switches AND controller on the same functions?
If CS are not directly possible via MIDI, i need the option to control those functions through MIDI - and - have the possibility to control everything with my FM3 directly (footswitches)
Also not possible... You can only sign one controller...

But, don't overlook the "loop" trick posted by @philipacamaniac above. It might be a solution.

@unix-guy Ok - so i tried ...

• FM3 MIDI Channel: 1
  • FM3 MIDI thru: Enabled
  • Control Switch 1 MIDI enabled
  • CS1 Command CC, Channel 1, CC 52, On Value: 1, Off Value: 0
  • Ableton MIDI IN/OUT to the WIDI Master (the communication works in general, my preset and scene changes are working fine!)
  • if i press a mapped switch with CS1, i see Ableton recieves and sends data(so, thru is working)
  • if i send a CC52 1 or 0 value from Ableton, i see it's being transferred, but the FM3 does not react to it (the CS1 stays off)

Does anyone know where the error is? ...

Last edited:
@unix-guy Ok - so i tried ...

• FM3 MIDI Channel: 1
  • FM3 MIDI thru: Enabled
  • Control Switch 1 MIDI enabled
  • CS1 Command CC, Channel 1, CC 52, On Value: 1, Off Value: 0
  • Ableton MIDI IN/OUT to the WIDI Master (the communication works in general, my preset and scene changes are working fine!)
  • if i press a mapped switch with CS1, i see Ableton recieves and sends data(so, thru is working)
  • if i send a CC52 1 or 0 value from Ableton, i see it's being transferred, but the FM3 does not react to it (the CS1 stays off)

Does anyone know where the error is? ...
My workaround doesn’t affect the state of a control switch. The concept isn’t to send MIDI to the control switch, it’s for the control switch to send the same MIDI data that an external controller is sending. What do you want to use CS1 to control?

Let’s assume for this example that you want CS1 to control Amp Boost.

Rather than attaching CS1 directly to Amp Boost as the modifier, let’s attach External Controller 1. And then under MIDI I/O setup on the FM3, set External Controller 1 to CC 53.

So now, Ableton should have control of Amp Boost whenever you send CC53. And… CS1 should also have control of Amp Boost whenever Ableton is open and completing a MIDI thru loop. (I believe that means you need a MIDI track with the I/O set to your WIDI).

This workaround works a little better with a setup that stays connected to FM3 permanently (like the Morningstar MC3 above), in your case you’d have to keep Ableton open for CS1 to do anything.

Ahhhh ok, i think i get it now - thanks!
My dream scenario would be to have both possibilities: Control Switches without Ableton, Control Switches with Ableton, and a setup where both work at the same time. So i guess i have to decide :D

I arranged my setup like you mentioned, but the MIDI thru seems not work, like - sending MIDI on CS1 tap and recieving this to manipulate the External Controller 1. I ...

• mapped my function to External Controller 1 instead of CS1
  • set External Controller 1 MIDI to CC#52
  • set CS1 MIDI to CC#52, ON value 127, off value 0
  • MIDI IN/PUT/THRU to Ableton

Sending CC#52 127/0 with Ableton works.
Pressing a mapped CS1 button does not change the External Controller 1 mapped state :/
Did i miss something? ...

Thanks in advance!!

Make sure MIDI Track Input and Output routing are both set to On for your WIDI device.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 9.12.36 AM.png

And then, make sure you have a MIDI track in the session with your WIDI set as both the Input and Output of the track. Set the channel to your FM3 channel (I think you've done this since CCs sent from Ableton are working). Finally, make sure you've switched the MIDI track monitoring status to In (the default is Auto). You can use Auto when the track is also armed for recording, but In is better if you want the Ableton session to always loop MIDI from the FM3 back to the FM3.

Best practice would be to have a dedicated MIDI track for this thru/loopback connection to/from the FM3 (maybe add it to your template), and then a separate MIDI track for any session clips containing data intended for the FM3.

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 9.12.49 AM.png

I use the CS MIDI thru trick for switching amp and cab channels simultaneously, so that I can have an onboard control switch for amp/cab channel switching. It's handy!

Puedes cambiar Control Switch 1 a External Control 1 y luego asignarle el CC#16
1.- SETUP
2.- MIDI/Remote
3.- Pagina "External"
4.- External Control 1 = CC#16
5.- En el "Edit Modifier" Source=External Control 1

SUERTE !!!

Puedes cambiar Control Switch 1 a External Control 1 y luego asignarle el CC#16
1.- SETUP
2.- MIDI/Remote
3.- Pagina "External"
4.- External Control 1 = CC#16
5.- En el "Edit Modifier" Source=External Control 1

SUERTE !!!
Help me understand this. You can assign External 1 to a Control Switch. And you can assign External 1 to a MIDI CC. But you can't make both assignments at the same time.

Help me understand this. You can assign External 1 to a Control Switch. And you can assign External 1 to a MIDI CC. But you can't make both assignments at the same time.
No, you have to select External 1 instead of Control Switch 1!!!

No, you have to select External 1 instead of Control Switch 1!!!
If you select External 1, you'll get whatever modifier External 1 is assigned to. It might be a MIDI CC, or it might be a Control Switch. This thread is about allowing a MIDI message to change the state of a Control Switch.

Back
Top Bottom