Tried USA Pre Clean with no cab.....WOW!

Absolutely. That's what I've been saying, though not necessarily about the USA Pre Clean specifically. My favorite clean tones don't involve a Cab block. The USA Pre Clean sounds really good without a cab. I'd also strongly urge you to try the Deluxe Tweed with the Bright Switch enabled(set to 90.0 pF or thereabouts).

I don't understand how an amp works without a cab. Is there an explanation around someplace?

Edit: I don't doubt it works and that it sounds good, I just don't understand how the model would work, theoretically.

The thing with clean sounds is that there's a lot of ways you can make it work. From people recording guitar plugged straight into a console, to guys like Ola using only an EQ block and straight into the Cab Block without any amp at all... I can't see why using no Cab Block would be different, it would work for sure.

I don't understand how an amp works without a cab. Is there an explanation around someplace?

Edit: I don't doubt it works and that it sounds good, I just don't understand how the model would work, theoretically.

An amp model will work with or without a Cab block; however, a cab is generally used to filter distorted signals because they're too harsh to listen to otherwise. Of course, you could just as well filter a distorted signal with an EQ to tame the highs and lows.

Given that clean tones aren't distorted, a Cab or EQ block isn't essential. In fact, my favorite clean presets don't involve a Cab block.

Last edited:
I always use a Pre without cabs for my Taylor T5 (Active pickups). Sounds awesome.

Matter of fact, I always start building my presets with an amp first without a cab. I get an acceptable sound then search for a cab then do any adjustments necessary. Mind you, I'm not after a specific "Marshall' or brand type of sound as I like making my own combinations.

WOW! Thanks for this tip!! Love the results!

But I do notice that having a cab will filter out all the static noise…. There seems to be a fair amount of it without a cab.

Last edited:
I’m right there with you @Tremonti ! I’ll definitely need to gives these ideas a test, after so many years of automatically dropping in an amp / cab pairing. Thanks for posting. Cheers, Lee

An amp model will work with or without a Cab block; however, a cab is generally used to filter distorted signals because they're too harsh to listen to otherwise. Of course, you could just as well filter a distorted signal with an EQ to tame the highs and lows.

Given that clean tones aren't distorted, a Cab or EQ block isn't essential. In fact, my favorite clean presets don't involve a Cab block.

Thank you, Jason, for explaining that to me. I appreciate it!

The Amp and Cab blocks are completely independent. Changes made in the cab block (or lack thereof) have no impact on the function or calculations of the amp block. The speaker interaction used by the selected amp model is done in the Amp block, not the cab block. The amp block uses it's own speaker impedance curve (which is now user selectable in the III) to calculate its results. The cab block just adds IR filtering on top of that.

Another option is to use the very last Factory Cab called something like Totally Flat. It's just that, totally flat response. That lets you still take advantage of the cab blocks other features like console preamp emulations without any cab coloration.

I use the USA Pre Clean in the exact same way for super clean tones

Edit: sorry ready it wrong originally and thought you said USA Clean not the Pre

It's like a pumping crackle sound. At least if we are both hearing the same thing. I think a filter block will reduce these crackles. With cab on there is no crackle, but I do not like that sound with cab.
Try using the cab clock but try the "Totally Flat" stock IR see if that helps. You then also get the benefit all all the cab block features as well.

I imagine you are hitting the output metres very hard and are clipping slightly. There are a lot more frequencies present in a cabless clean tone, sending the overall output up a notch. Think of how having more bass frequencies in a mix for instance means you have lesser headroom before clipping.....same with high frequencies.

Last edited:
It's like a pumping crackle sound. At least if we are both hearing the same thing. I think a filter block will reduce these crackles. With cab on there is no crackle, but I do not like that sound with cab.
Shouldn't be happening. Is something clipping? Post a recording?

@Tremonti

Are you using single-coils? If you set the Level in the High band of the M-Comp block to 0 and the Ratio to 1.000, I think you'll find the noise is less noticeable. The way the M-Comp block is set by default means everything within the range of the high band is being compressed/boosted. If you want more high-end, add some treble in the Amp block, but for that preset, I would set the High band Ratio to 1.000 and the Level to 0. As an aside, you might consider using the default Input block parameters, because the way you've got it configured is causing artifacts in the decay of sustained notes.

I edited your preset and recorded a sample:

Attachments

• PRISTINE CLEAN MOD.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 47
@Tremonti

Are you using single-coils? If you set the Level in the High band of the M-Comp block to 0 and the Ratio to 1.000, I think you'll find the noise is less noticeable. The way the M-Comp block is set by default means everything within the range of the high band is being compressed/boosted. If you want more high-end, add some treble in the Amp block, but for that preset, I would set the High band Ratio to 1.000 and the Level to 0. As an aside, you might consider using the default Input block parameters, because the way you've got it configured is causing artifacts in the decay of sustained notes.

WOW. Thank you! Sounds awesome BTW! Not using single coils. Left multi comp as stock. I'll adjust.

@Tremonti

That sounds so good! Thanks for including the preset!

The Amp and Cab blocks are completely independent. Changes made in the cab block (or lack thereof) have no impact on the function or calculations of the amp block. The speaker interaction used by the selected amp model is done in the Amp block, not the cab block. The amp block uses it's own speaker impedance curve (which is now user selectable in the III) to calculate its results. The cab block just adds IR filtering on top of that.

Another option is to use the very last Factory Cab called something like Totally Flat. It's just that, totally flat response. That lets you still take advantage of the cab blocks other features like console preamp emulations without any cab coloration.

Thank you for the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom